+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For Sale, Two way floor standing speakers. TQWT. Audax and Seas drivers. Silver cable

I'm Steve.

Default For Sale, Two way floor standing speakers. TQWT. Audax and Seas drivers. Silver cable

I am continuing my journey of learning and experience with regards building a system that sounds good to my ears. Next I want to build the slight larger DTQWT version of the speaker I am selling. To fund this next project I need to sell my current set of speakers.

The design of these TQWT speakers is by Troels Graveson (Denmark). They are two-way, 95dB high-efficiency TQWT cabinets (tapered-quarter-wave-tube).

Driver specs:
    Tweeter: 34mm soft dome. Audax TW034 and waveguide
    Mid/bass driver: 8 inch JA8008 designed by Troels and made by Seas.

Cabinet:
    External dimensions: 280mm wide, 380 deep by 1080mm tall. The Manacor spikes add an additional 30mm to the overall height.

Crossover
    The Jantzen Audio kit price was 830 EUR plus shipping
    I opted for the level one which includes wax coils and the ‘silver’ cap for the tweeter.

Cables:
    Hand-made fine silver cables in braided Teflon sleeve throughout. To clarify this is from the drivers to the crossover. Then from the crossover output to my power amplifier.

Based on the speakers I have heard at various hi-fi shows and ones I have owned to date I would describe the speakers as producing a sound that is dynamic and open. The midrange presents all types of vocals well. There is enough bass for me, however I don’t know how it will sound in your own home, as room shape, size and furnishings all affect the listening experience. The designer, Troels, says that he can listen to this speaker for hours without fatigue.

The front panels are double thickness at 38mm and I used a rebate joint for extra strength. These mid drivers are pretty heavy and I wanted to ensure that the cabinets would not vibrate.
    The side panels are MDF with oak veneer. The rear panels and internal braces/horn panel is made from Baltic birch. The two front corner posts are solid oak.

Brown fabric dust covers included if you need them.

Options and final customisation:
    The kit came with 3 resistors for treble attenuation. At present, I have selected the one allowing the most treble output. (1.8 ohms). You can reduce using the 2.2 or 2.7 ohms.

The cables are 6 stranded pure silver with clear Teflon sleeves. You can have these included or I can un-solder from the crossover to enable you to have your preferred cables. Length from speaker cabinet to my power amp is just 110cm.

Do you have a preferred brand of speaker binding post? I can fit these for you if you bring them along. Alternatively, I can recommend a set of CMC silver plated ones. The cost would be £32.00.

Monacor Spikes: I fitted these as I need to support the speakers properly and these go through the carpet to the concrete floor. They have a small degree of height adjustment.

Overall cost was about £1200 inc, woodwork shop time, wood and silver cables. Not to mention the 100 hours of my time.
    Sale price is £800.00 as I feel that is good value for the sound quality on offer.

Demonstration by arrangement, please PM me if interested.
    Buyer to collect or I can deliver within Northamptonshire only.

Useful link to the original article http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008.htm

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Alan.

Bargain alert!

Those look superb I really wish I needed some more speakers, I bet they sound excellent.

GLWS and your future build.

I'm Manny.

Very nice work Steve, impressive!

I'm Steve.

Thank you for the compliment, vinyl

I'm Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 12 View Post
    Thank you for the compliment, vinyl
    Not a problem, respect at all the hard work. I bought some vintage JBL L40's which I love the sound of as a wee project etc, they needed refoaming - I gave up just staring at them - and had the drivers done professionally....

I'm Steve.

Bump

I'm Steve.

Default Bump

Bumping my advert up

I'm Jack.

Pm sent

I'm Steve.

Hi All

Speakers sold yesterday to Non-Smoking Man.

Jack, thanks for your compliments on the sound and build quality, hope you have many years of listening pleasure with the speakers.
    Pleasure doing business with you.

Regards

Steve

+ Reply to Thread