+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everybody

I'm Karl.

Default Hello everybody

Hi guys , my names Karl, I'm new to the forum, I'm 32 years old and have recently moved to the Melbourne area of oz from the UK. my current setup is a modded rp6 with exact cart, brio r, GS gram amp 2 se with PSU1 , and Q acoustics 3050 connnected with chord cables. Iv loved my music since my late teens when I got into the mod scene and collecting records and gigging has been a big part of my growing up ,and the last 5/6 years or so iv got more serious about my hifi aswell and getting the best sound possible(that I can afford).As iv got older my music tastes have branched out from just the usual soul, rnb, 60s, weller,oasis ,ocs etc into psych, prog , electronica and much more . I thought I would join the forum as I'm interested in going valve with my phono stage and you guys would be able to offer knowledge, recommendations,advice etc on the dos and donts. Looking forward to hearing from you
    Cheers

I'm Geoff.

Hi Karl. Welcome to AOS.

I went from valve phono stage to solid state, so the opposite of what you have in mind. What models were you looking at?

Tell us if you have any other plans for your Hi-Fi.

Feel free to join in the chat here. there's loads going on and the members are friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Nice intro Karl. Hope you find site a help
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Karl.

Thanks grant, iv had a brief look around the forum and I'm sure there are a few brains out there worth picking on the subject.im not realy one for the technical side of things if I'm honest ,which is why I just let my ears do the judging with a bit of guidance from helpful people like yourselves .
    Cheers mate
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Martin.

Hi Karl, welcome to the forum. They know all about valves here so ask away. Not me though, I just think of them as little light bulbs.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Karl.

Thanks Geoff, there are a few that keep popping up within my £500 budget. The croft, pursound p10, Alans firebottle, and possibly the new project ds2. Iv even got my eye on a used ear 834p on eBay if the price doesn't get to high(which I'm sure it will). I like the idea of having MC and MM as I'm thinking of trying MC when I can afford it so a few will be crossed off the list as I can't afford a SUT aswell at the moment.
    Cheers
    Karl
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Geoff.

I went from an EAR 834P to a Graham Slee Era Gold V. The Slee was far better. As you already have the PSU1, it could be worth considering.

The 834P is nice enough, but overrated and way overpriced now. I paid £200 for my MM/MC version some years ago. Seems some sellers think they are worth a grand these days. They're not!

The MC input on the 834P is pretty poor by the way.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Karl.

Haha thanks Martin , I'm the same hence me looking for some guidance. but if they make my records sound better that's fine with me
    Cheers

I'm Karl.

Well my original plan was to go with the reflex as I loved the gram amp so much,but then I wanted different cartridge options so was set on a trichord dino, then after hearing some valves (very expensive ones) I had a change of heart. I'm just wondering with my budget if it would be worth the change

I'm Geoff.

I just sold a Reflex. I enjoyed it, but thought the Era Gold V possibly just a bit more musical. I used a decent SUT with both of them when I wanted to listen to an MC. Great combination.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast