+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultrasonic Record cleaners

I'm Spencer.

Default Here's All The Details On Semi-DIY Approach to Fabulous Ultrasonic Record Cleaning

This thread and the accompanying article which it links to give all the gory details including chemicals, recipe for mixing and storage, etc. I posted details about my DIY vacuum rinsing station if you want to pursue rinsing after the ultrasonic cleaning. Results are tremendous, far superior to those I got using a VPI 16.5 vacuum machine and all the top selling fluids/brushes available for that including enzymatic cleaners.

Warning the thread is full of details. It takes a couple of reads to figure out what chemicals to source, and I have no idea where in UK any of them are available to non-commercial purchasers. In practice, once you get it all together, it's very easy to use and results are amazing. I can clean 12 LPs in ~40minutes (i.e. 3 cycles of 10 minutes with 4LPs at a time, then rinsing of 4LPs while the next batch runs in the U/S machine). Total cost of machine, vacuum brush attachment & all chemicals ~$500 USD with enough to clean >5000 LPs

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...hlight=rushton
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Ben.

Managed to get the Ultrasonic cleaner set up today. The instructions are well laid out and really its very simple to get up and running with it in 10 minutes or so. The records are placed on a spindle with a jam jar lid spacer between each of them and then tightened and locked in position with a small securing screw. Its slightly heath robinson but that's to be expected and in fairness the instructions advise that its for the hobbyist record lover!

Once the spindle of records is placed in the ultrasonic bath (details / rations are given for you to mix the cleaning solution) and then its simply a matter of setting the desired operation time (recommended at 300 seconds a pass). In operation is very quiet, quiet enough that I can have it on in the same room whilst having the system on.

I've only cleaned about 10 records and so far only played 2 of them. The first test was an old 70s Elton John LP Tumbleweed Connection chosen as the first "test" disk as its always sounded pretty terrible with loads of pops cracks and hiss (even after a couple of cleans with a disco-antstat). However after about 5 minutes in the ultrasonic and allowing it to dry on a rack it now sounds like an almost new disc, a good 80% of the noise and crackles are gone, im going to give it another run through the machine in a bit hoping this will improve things further.

2nd up was an equally aged copy of DSOTM inherited from my parents collection and probably never cleaned (they certainly would never of and I don't remember ever giving it much more than a brush). Again after 6 minutes in the ultrasonic bath it sounds really decent. There's the odd pop but its much much better than I remember it before, seems that there's a bit more top end detail on offer now too........blimey!

So far I cant fault it...........il report back when ive run a few more LPs through it.
    Last edited by Zoidburg; 11-03-2017 at 19:42.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Spencer.

\http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic...3D322362704769

This is the tank attachment I use. It looks to be far more solidly built than the plastic one in OP's post. Incremental cost isn't too much IMHO. After 100 LPs I can say I'm very happy with it, and know a handful of others with it who are also all pleased.
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123