+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the SL-1200 transformer hard-mounted to the chassis? Anyone tried dampening it?

I'm Hugo.

Default Is the SL-1200 transformer hard-mounted to the chassis? Anyone tried dampening it?

If the power transformer is hard mounted to the chassis (metal to metal) then perhaps some vibration damping could be provided by using rubber washers/gaskets around the screws and perhaps between the transformer and chassis itself.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

I'm Nathan.

I've never done it to a 1200, but I have with belt driven tables that had them mounted on the underside of the plinth. It does visibly reduce noise when you look at it on a scope. I haven't really noticed an audible difference while listening. If the noise is audible with the needle resting on a record that's not spinning it's probably a problem with the transformer, or electricity being fed to it rather than the way it is mounted.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Dimitris.

It's not mounted metal to metal. It has rubber dampeners inside.

If you are into mods, have a look at this thread.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...wer-Supply-DIY

It's full of useful info and trials
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Mick.

I just removed it and used an external supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    I just removed it and used an external supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's what I did to mine. It was to give it a little more amperage and capacitance though. It wasn't because I could hear the transformer when I was playing a record.

I'm Hugo.

I can't hear the transformer when listening to a record, but when volume is pumped up above listening volume and the needle is down on a record I can hear my amplifier's transformer through the cartridge. If I then turn on the technics I can hear its transformer too.

Not exactly a major problem because this is at above listening level with my ear close to the speakers; but if it's solved with $1 of rubber washers it would be worth the money

I'm Nathan.

It you don't hear it at listening levels you're probable fine. It won't hurt anything to put some washers under it.

It's probably AC hum you're hearing and not the transformers vibrating.

What type of platter mat are you using?

I'm Hugo.

Just using some random rubber mat

Pretty sure it's vibration because it doesn't make any hum when the needle is 1mm above the record, but the second it hits the record it hums

I'm Nathan.

It could be. Usually the mat would dampen anything that minor.

Almost every amp will have some hum if you crank it up and hold your ear close to the speaker. Whether or not you would actually be able to hear it if you were playing music that loud is debatable.

Pulling the transformer out of the table altogether and adding some extra capacitors is worth doing. You have to be comfortable with resoldering, and working with mains voltage. It makes a pretty noticable difference in sound.

I don't know how much putting washers under it would help, but giving it a shot won't hurt anything. It's a cheap experiment, so it's worth a try.

I'm Dimitris.

Guys it already has rubber dampeners.

sl1200_tr_feet.jpg

Just go the extra mile and put the transformer in an external box.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast