+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DL-103 on Technics SL-1200 MK2: good match?

I'm Bastien.

Default DL-103 on Technics SL-1200 MK2: good match?

Hi.

I have a new Denon DL-103 cart, and I was wondering if it works well on the stock tonearm of the SL-1200 MK2. Initially I wanted to find another turntable with a tonearm suitable to the DL-103…
    I can use another headshell, a Jelco HS-25, heavier than the stock Technics one.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
    Hi.

I have a new Denon DL-103 cart, and I was wondering if it works well on the stock tonearm of the SL-1200 MK2. Initially I wanted to find another turntable with a tonearm suitable to the DL-103…
    I can use another headshell, a Jelco HS-25, heavier than the stock Technics one.
    I think it will work but you need a high mass headshell or add some extra mass to the one you've got.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Works well with a higher mass headshell, better still, with some custom heavy counterweights too.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dimitar.

I read headshell mass + cartrige mass + tonearm effective mass (without the headshell) for technics 1210mk2 should not excees 20gr.
    Is this only because the counterweight will not be enough, or the music is corrupted when making so heavy arm?

I'm gordan.

103 will never work at best in 1200 arm, no matter what headshell, blutac, weights, wires you utilize.... better buy a more appropriate pickup, like benz micro mc silver/gold in that price range for example (depending on if you want lo or hi output). been there done that.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Dimitar.

I decided to buy denon dl-301mk2.

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    I read headshell mass + cartrige mass + tonearm effective mass (without the headshell) for technics 1210mk2 should not excees 20gr.
    Is this only because the counterweight will not be enough, or the music is corrupted when making so heavy arm?
    It's probably to keep the resonant frequency high enough to not amplify rubble
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

+ Reply to Thread