+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounding superb - my vinyl finally sounds awesome

I'm Mike.

Default Sounding superb - my vinyl finally sounds awesome

I think I've now cracked it as far as the vinyl side of my setup is concerned, did a touch more tweaking to it the other day ( much to my daughter's disgust....." Not again dad, you'll break it!"), So vta adjusted, platter mats swapped around, then swapped again, more vta adjustment and BANG! There it was...... Clarity, clean but not edgy treble, superb midrange with voices sounding like voices and bass, oh I finally found fast, tight and kicking bass. I did have a few of these traits before but it just didn't make me wanna keep turning it up if you know what I mean. I've no doubt a lot of this is due to the Croft preamp, but the Zyx cartridge just suits me so much better than the AT 33PTGII and Ortofon MC25FL I have as spares.

This is how everything looks now

The Croft Epoch preamp using the TQ Claymore integrated as a power amp has added much to the setup. I would like to find a power amp or monoblocks to possibly improve our further, but to be honest I'm not sure if it CAN get any better. If I did swap in power amps they'd need to be demoed first just to make sure.

However...... I'm just sitting here rocking out to some Sammy Hagar and unlike most LPs of this era, it's sounding like ROCK, not some flat, no bass, treble loaded ultra thin vinyl that a lot of LPs were like back then. There's a track on his 3 Lock Box album where he makes the guitar strings screech and it's like he's in the room with me, it sounds so real!

I suppose to give an analogy it's like when you watch a really great movie and 2 hours just flies by because you enjoyed it so much and come out of the cinema buzzing, well that's what my LPs are doing to me right now.

As one of my pals used to say "unbefuckingleivable" 😁 🎸 😁 🎸 😁 🎸

I'm James.

Nice one Mike, glad you found the vinyl sweet spot via the Croft and claymore. The Zyx must sound wonderful through your set up? Great when it all comes together but it does take time with all the tweaking etc.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Nice one Mike, glad you found the vinyl sweet spot via the Croft and claymore. The Zyx must sound wonderful through your set up? Great when it all comes together but it does take time with all the tweaking etc.
    Thanks, I must admit these last few listens have made me think that's it, I was thinking of buying new speakers as I've never really gotten what I want from my PMC 21's but now I'm not so sure, I might demo one or two pairs as my wife has capitulated and said that something the size of Harbeth 30.1's wouldn't look out of place in the living room, now they ain't that much bigger than the 21's but I'll take anything I can get as she loves the 21's for their looks and how they look in the living room.

I wouldn't buy the 30.1's but would like to try some around that size that better the PMC's. 😉

New speakers might not be necessary but it would be interesting to try something else just to hear..... If only to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice one Mike, glad it's hitting the spot for you.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nathan.

Nice. If you're loving it, let it ride. I've noticed Hard Rock and Metal always sound better when I don't use a clamp with my setup. Especially with percussion. I have no explanation for it, but I've gone back and forth enough times that I'm positive it's not in my head.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice one Mike, glad it's hitting the spot for you.
    Thanks Ali, it's now sounding like I always thought it should, hey it might not be as good a someone elses but right here right now in my living room it's the best I've heard and I must admit if I don't hear anything better in here it won't matter cos right now I'm loving it. If that makes sense lol

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    Nice. If you're loving it, let it ride. I've noticed Hard Rock and Metal always sound better when I don't use a clamp with my setup. Especially with percussion. I have no explanation for it, but I've gone back and forth enough times that I'm positive it's not in my head.
    Yeah it's great, I'll try the clamp thing it's just a habit to put it on the days, I don't even know if it makes a difference or not it just looks cool 😀

I'm Nathan.

It seems to help on most music, but not the heavy stuff.

I did it on accident and was thinking Stranglehold sounded better than I had ever heard it sound. Then I realized I forgot to put the clamp on when I flipped the album.

I'm Grant.

dont use mine either now, very often, although the thinner rexords sometimes prefer it. Its mostly for looks, and the fact it will clean a stylus too.

Glad to hear your records are now top ho Mike
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mick.

Spot on Mike. Now leave alone and enjoy your music. One more tweek and you may lose the sweet spot. Trust me I have done it many times.
    Last edited by Dubster68; 02-03-2017 at 22:33.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast