+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sounding superb - my vinyl finally sounds awesome

I'm Mike.

Thanks Yomanze and AlphaGT wise words indeed, I've hardly listened to my streamer lately it's been vinyl all the way, still bringing a huge grin to my face and can't stop tapping along to anything I play.

I'm Mike.

Having taken delivery of an Acoustical System SMARTractor today, I couldn't wait to try it out when I got in from work this evening. 30 minutes later it was done.

What an improvement, I thought i had it set pretty good, but I was a bit out. It's really easy to use and seems to be very precise with the settings.

As a consequence my turntable is now sounding even better than ever, I think the biggest indication as to how much better is the fact that I can turn the volume up on the amp much further before I think that's too far, although it was sounding great before, this is a whole new level.

The SMARTractor was pretty expensive but Hugo at Ammonite Acoustics gave a very nice discount on rrp, but considering my investment in the vinyl side of my system the cost wasn't a major issue for me.

Highly recommended, even more so if you're a serial cart swapper, I'm settled on one cartridge so it won't be used again for a while, some might think that's a bit daft, buying something to use it once, but for me it's been well worth it.

I'm Grant.

it will last a lifetime mate, and maybe 2 lifetimes and still have residual value.. Nice one.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Thanks Yomanze and AlphaGT wise words indeed, I've hardly listened to my streamer lately it's been vinyl all the way, still bringing a huge grin to my face and can't stop tapping along to anything I play.
    I'm in a similar spot right now, cannot bring myself to go back and listen to my digital system.

However, for me vinyl listening is sometimes a bipolar experience. There are LPs that catapult me into the stratosphere of utmost ecstasy and transcendence, a pure musical bliss, and then there are LPs that smash me to the ground, because of how dead and dull they're sounding. It seems to be an either-or situation with records, something I am not experiencing to such degree when listening to CDs.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    it will last a lifetime mate, and maybe 2 lifetimes and still have residual value.. Nice one.
    Very true, it's a keeper as no doubt a new cart could always be on the horizon lol.

Only thing it doesn't do it's VTA, but at least you know the stylus it set perfect otherwise, VTA at the moment seems ok to my ear but I might have fiddle with that later this week. That just entails one little grub screw

Just need the amp side tweaked ( plans afoot there, to be revealed soon I think ).

Then I also have plans to upgrade the speakers, as good as they are I know I can do better, well maybe not better, different ............

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I'm in a similar spot right now, cannot bring myself to go back and listen to my digital system.

However, for me vinyl listening is sometimes a bipolar experience. There are LPs that catapult me into the stratosphere of utmost ecstasy and transcendence, a pure musical bliss, and then there are LPs that smash me to the ground, because of how dead and dull they're sounding. It seems to be an either-or situation with records, something I am not experiencing to such degree when listening to CDs.
    I know what you mean, mind you I've been mostly listening to LPs for the last few weeks since I started this thread, most have been great with just the odd one a bit 'different' but I put that down to the mix or mastering.

Any CDs I buy get ripped to flac for streaming and I only buy what I can't get on vinyl, mostly electronic that just isn't out on vinyl so it's either cd or flat downloads from Bandcamp etc.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Just need the amp side tweaked ( plans afoot there, to be revealed soon I think ).

Then I also have plans to upgrade the speakers, as good as they are I know I can do better, well maybe not better, different ............

Aha! Spoken like a true Audiophile! "My system is perfect!", "Can't wait to upgrade!", yes that is the true symptom of the sickness. It's strange, the better it sounds the more motivated one becomes to try and find more! Like an addiction, must get even higher! It never ends, but that's why they call it a hobby. Especially if you've got the wife on board for better speakers! Like waving a red flag in front of a bull! As the old saying goes, it's not the destination, it's the journey.

I'm not pointing fingers. My system has never sounded better, and I'm shopping for a new cartridge and preamp! That ZYX sounds like something I might like? A few lightly used ones on Audiogon.

I'm Shaun.

I am currently in exactly the same place you are. My vinyl system sounds completely stunning and the best I have ever owned. It is at last an absolute pleasure to play music on.

I'm Anto.

Great stuff Mikey !! Glad you have it sorted !!
    Keep it there as long as you can!
    I took up Archerey about 12 yrs ago . That reminded me of the never ending search for vinyl perfection !

Spent a small fortune but was forever tinkering with some seriously expensive equipment !!

I have so far resisted the same with my TT
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234