+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending Most Of The Budget On Amplification?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    What good sense!

Unfortunately, when you have an interest in the playback equipment as well as the music, it can be really difficult trying to maintain a sensible balance between the two. I'll hold my hand up and admit that I have to struggle sometimes to keep what I consider to be a suitable perspective. I can get very carried away with enthusiasm for the kit, even to the extent that I find it is the equipment, and not me, that is "choosing" the music I listen to. So I might find myself thinking "I fancy listening to some Miles Davis", but find myself putting on some Kenny Wheeler because it's more "hi-fi" and will show off the treasured aspects of my system's playback performance better. So I kick back and luxuriate in just how the loudspeakers are doing this, or the amplifier is doing that. I'm listening to capacitors and resistors for heaven's sake, not music! It's not the way it was meant to be.

Who has seen the film "The Shawshank Redemption"? Well, everybody obviously! I often find myself thinking of that heart-bursting moment when Tim Robbins succeeds in getting some ropey old wind-up gramophone connected up to the prison PA system and sets Mozart playing across the dusty yard and through the halls of the prison. The standard of "hi-fi" reproduction was abysmal, the sound crackly and distorted, but nevertheless you feel as if you have never heard anything more moving or beautiful or hopeful. That's what listening to music should be like. The emotional bang you get from it should be completely independent of the technical perfection of the playback. Unfortunately I sometimes worry that I am letting the tail wag the dog when I start to obsess over my system.

Sound familiar, anyone ...?
    IB
    Used to be but not now. Just play tunes i like and try new to me stuff on spotify. Its only mp3 but can sound very good on headphones. I reserve my critical listening to the occasions i have the big rig on, and even then i try not to...not always successfully i will admit
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What an excellent post Gary. You've got it spot on!

It's far to easy to get carried away with upgrades and tweeks, and loose sight of the fact that it is all only a means to an end. I recently spent about £600 to have a dedicate ring main installed for my audio system. I can't say it has had any effect on the overall sound, but it means the cable routing is minimised and is much tidier. So that on its own gives me peace of mind.

In that respect, it might be useful to ask how much you have spent on 'software' and how much on the 'hardware'.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    80-90% of what you hear comes via the room reflection so your room has a massive effect.
    I don't think it's as high as that.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    The cheaper mine gets the more I seem to enjoy it.
    Perhaps that's just because your expectations of it are less? It's human nature: the better/more expensive something is, the more you expect from it.

That's undoubtedly why, IMO, many of us have such 'wonderful memories' of sounds/musical experiences we heard from very modest systems when we were young, simply because we weren't applying the same degree of scrutiny to the sound as we would now, using our current systems.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    What good sense!

. So I might find myself thinking "I fancy listening to some Miles Davis", but find myself putting on some Kenny Wheeler because it's more "hi-fi" and will show off the treasured aspects of my system's playback performance better. So I kick back and luxuriate in just how the loudspeakers are doing this, or the amplifier is doing that. I'm listening to capacitors and resistors for heaven's sake, not music! It's not the way it was meant to be.

IB
    yes, I used to do this and it used to irritate me but I sort of blamed the recordings. Then I had a friend come round to play a copy of the album his band had just recorded. After a listen his comment was: 'It sounds very different to how it sounds in the studio.'

That was when I decided I should be taking things a bit more seriously. There is nothing of that old system left in my current one and 'dodgy' recordings are no longer an issue.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Perhaps that's just because your expectations of it are less? It's human nature: the better/more expensive something is, the more you expect from it.

That's undoubtedly why, IMO, many of us have such 'wonderful memories' of sounds/musical experiences we heard from very modest systems when we were young, simply because we weren't applying the same degree of scrutiny to the sound as we would now with our current systems.

Marco.
    The price absolutely effects my expectations of a pice of gear. I've been disappointed by the difference another 10k adds to the mix every time. I got to the point where I resent it. It's more exciting for me to find an inexpensive or free tweak that improves the sound to my ears. I've been repairing the stuff most of my life. I've had enough gear opened up to learn what causes the difference in tone between them. The components generally aren't worth the premium, custom transformers being the exception because you can't buy them.

I don't think there is a perfect setup that works for every type of music either. If my musical tastes weren't as neurotic as they are I would probably be more inclined to unload all of the gear I have and sink all of the cash into a world class system to play my two favorite albums on.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't think it's as high as that.
    It could be if the listening room was built like a prison cell.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What do people think? Some say spend most on the source, others say the loudspeakers should get the most of it.

But is the amplification really the key to getting a good sound? Slowly dawning on me that this might indeed be the case.

Current system if you ignore the TT which is not my primary source, and cables, I've got 65% of the spend in the amps. Never had a better sound.

What's your percent spent on amps and what's your opinion?
    You have speakers that NEED what your power amp can give into awkward loads. My speakers don't need this, so I can get away with less 'exalted power supply' power amps and still get a good enough sound of great musical and atmospheric qualities here. Nick (Lurcher) has explained to me how costs escalate when transformers get rather large, cases get seriously heavy duty to accommodate them and dissipate the output stage heat and this is before the circuit itself is taken into consideration.

Modern speakers seem to be lower impedances than they were. A spec of 8 ohms is an average and can mean (if reviews are read) dips in the midrange to 4 ohms, where all the energy is. Other speakers can be over-damped, requiring seemingly hundreds of watts to wake them up in my experience. GOOD watts can be expensive, sadly, but there are enough cheaper powerful amps for most people I believe.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You have speakers that NEED what your power amp can give into awkward loads. My speakers don't need this, so I can get away with less 'exalted power supply' power amps and still get a good enough sound of great musical and atmospheric qualities here..
    Actually my speakers claim to be an easy load and use simple crossovers. Not taken them apart to verify this but the amp never lights up or even gets warm.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

To answer my last question, I have done a quick tally on expenditure:

source (vinyl playback, CD player(s), reel-to-reel tape machine, cassette player and tuner(s)): ~ £10K
    electronics (amplification: preamps, headamps, SUTs, phonostages and power amps): ~ £9.5K
    speakers: £200

(I should add there is enough equipment for at least two systems)

Yet the value of the software is ~ £12K, split roughly equally between vinyl and CDs (although my own expenditure was probably only about a third of that sum).

Clearly I've got it all about face!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast