+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending Most Of The Budget On Amplification?

I'm Geoff.

Until recently my record playing gear added up to around £1600. But the CD front end cost £1800. Speakers are worth around £1000 and amplification would probably cost about the same to replace. (although i do have extra items of each )

Cables? God knows, a big assortment from cheap to steep (ish).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

My amps and turntable work out about the same price and both equally contribute to the systems performance.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Neil.

My amp was £3,900, my speakers were £1,350 new, I got them for £650. Without a doubt the amp takes the speakers to a whole different level. They are an easy load, but highly insensitive at 84db.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Paul.

Assuming you're talking "RRP" when evaluating a system, then mine is source 67% (Linn), amps 25% (Tisbury and Meridian ) and speakers 8% (Rega ).

In reality, the Linn I picked up for about £320 and added the Ittok later, so let's say £650; the Meridians cost me £320, the Tiz £80; the Juras were £85 + £80 to get one fixed.
    That now makes it source 54% (Linn), amps 33% (Tisbury and Meridian ) and speakers 13% (Rega ).

I would say the most drastic difference ever made to this setup was DEFINITELY the Meridians.
    If I was starting over I would look for a passive pre- and two modern monoblocks before doing anything else, so yeah I agree with you Marco .. but it's taken me thirty years to shake off the old (Manticore) mantra about source first, everything else later ..

.. and I also agree with petrat about the cables.
    The way I see them it's like if you have a nice road or mountain bike, say a grand or more's worth. You should spend approximately 10% of the value of the bike on the lock you use, but no more than that - cables are the same in my eyes.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    My amp was £3,900, my speakers were £1,350 new, I got them for £650. Without a doubt the amp takes the speakers to a whole different level. They are an easy load, but highly insensitive at 84db.
    LFD amps interest me. Rarely see any for sale though and out of my depth price-wise anyway.

Should point out that I am not really getting away with the cheap source, which is easily demonstrated by slotting in a fancier CD player. Still sounds better than it has any right to, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

95% of cost in the speakers
    There's no need to spend more than a couple of £hundred on any other single item.
    It sounds jaw-droppingly good.

-- excluding vinyl, I don't do that any more

I'm Dimitris.

Same here

Speakers are for me the one part that can make the biggest difference.

The speakers and their sensitivity will also dictate how much you will have to spend on amps to get a certain level of quality.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Neil.

I am still of a view that the source is the most important part, then pre or integrated, then power amp then speakers.

Without quality to begin with nothing down the chain can make up for that lack.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

95% of my system is "pre owned", so it is difficult for me to state exactly the proportional costs.

The TT/arm/cartridge was £2,500 but samples for sale on eBay now command £5K to £8K. The preamp and monoblock power amps were ~ £4,500, though they rarely come up on eBay. But my speakers (Quad 57s) only cost me £120, forty years ago and are the only items I will never change.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I am still of a view that the source is the most important part, then pre or integrated, then power amp then speakers.

Without quality to begin with nothing down the chain can make up for that lack.
    I understand that Neil, but if you don't have good speakers, you won't be able to appreciate your 'quality' source.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast