+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending Most Of The Budget On Amplification?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Without quality to begin with nothing down the chain can make up for that lack.
    I agree with that, but I (very strongly) disagree with the implication that extra money necessarily gets you extra quality when it comes to electronics (e.g. amps and DACs).
    After a couple of £hundred you are just changing the sonic flavour, imo and ime.
    Sure you can get crap sound from cheap gear, but chosen wisely you can get top quality sound as well.

I'm Mike.

Speakers every time, then cart, TT, amps, DAC, CDP and just a few quid on cables, because you have to.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I agree with that, but I (very strongly) disagree with the implication that extra money necessarily gets you extra quality when it comes to electronics (e.g. amps and DACs).
    After a couple of £hundred you are just changing the sonic flavour, imo and ime.
    Sure you can get crap sound from cheap gear, but chosen wisely you can get top quality sound as well.
    You mean second-hand prices?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

I wont embarrass anyone by mentioning how much my amp cost...new.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The spend allocated to each part of the system should be reasonably proportunate. You don't bung a two grand MC in a PL-12D for instance (unless you are nuts ).

This may oversimplify, but perhaps 30% on speakers, 30% on amplification and 40% on source
    sounds good to me .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You mean second-hand prices?
    No. Well, yes, but ...
    My DAC cost me £75 but is available new for around £150.
    Pretty much the same for my currently plumbed in amp - you can buy it new for around £180, I think. It sounds fantastic (see today's comments in my Gallery blog).

I am totally happy with them.
    -- which doesn't mean I won't change them in the future. That's what I do.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What do people think? Some say spend most on the source, others say the loudspeakers should get the most of it.

But is the amplification really the key to getting a good sound? Slowly dawning on me that this might indeed be the case.

Current system if you ignore the TT which is not my primary source, and cables, I've got 65% of the spend in the amps. Never had a better sound.

What's your percent spent on amps and what's your opinion?
    Hang on a sec <finds fag packet to write on back of>. OK. Upstairs system, about equal amounts on source and speakers, amps cost about the same as source and speakers combined. Downstairs system, amp takes up the vast majority of the budget, approx 65% (though this includes a DAC, and the source was bought secondhand). I've tried various cheaper amps in the downstairs system, but none of them has quite 'clicked' in the way the current one does. (All my calculations ignore cables and secondary sources).

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I agree that price does not necessarily mean quality. There are many overpriced pieces of crap out there.

But I do not know where to start disagreeing with the 200-pound claim. And note that I am deep into DIY and modding.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Nathan.

I always leaned towards throwing the money at the speakers and building around them over time. Once you figure out their strengths and weaknesses it's easier to pick components to compliment them.

I had $30 outdoor speakers wired up to a Class A 100 watt amp on the front porch of my old place. They sounded really good for a few days until the voice coils cooked off. That gave me second thoughts about the amount of difference good amplification can impose onto the worst speakers available. I had them wired with lamp cord too.

I guess I don't really have an answer. I think you can get there either way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    But I do not know where to start disagreeing with the 200-pound claim. And note that I am deep into DIY and modding.
    You could just say that you think I am totally wrong!

But I have owned (and often loved) multi-£k electronics. They can sound fantastic. But so can cheap gear at around the £100-£200 level. I know, because I have some.
    Amps can be tricky, but with an easy speaker load you don't need a biggun' imo.
    - even if you do need a biggun' - several of us a year or so back here on AOS picked up a used APart Champ One 300wpc power amp for £200. That, as they say, will do nicely. There are many others, vintage and not so vintage.

Speakers first, every time, and substantially so, if budget is not unlimited and you want to maximise sound/£.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast