+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a Mobile Choons Gizmo!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Cool Recommend me a Mobile Choons Gizmo!

Hi All

If you could benefit me with your digital wisdom I'd be most grateful, I'm considering buying a portable mp3 (+whateverelseformatwise) player for my daily commute etc. I have a phone which is ok but the memory is ltd (32Gb) and built in so not expandable . So after consideration have decided to purchase something dedicated for portable use. All music will be ripped from my CD collection to PC if that makes any difference and I haven't got much preference for any format FLAC,MP3 etc so am not fussed about this.

Can you recommend a player for me? Anything considered , budget about- £150-200 maybe a bit more at a stretch for the right unit.

Any advice and comments gratefully received!

Cheers Andy

edited to add , would prefer something not Appley, thanks.

I'm Geoff.

How important is sound quality? Very good or excellent SQ?

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Very good should do it , although it's a subjective thing. if it costs slightly more for excellent then I'd consider it. I'm not really au fait with the differences between formats so much , maybe I should do some research! lol

I'm Luke.

2nd hand iPod 5.5 gen with new battery, ssd and Rockbox installed. Not easy to beat with that budget.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    2nd hand iPod 5.5 gen with new battery, ssd and Rockbox installed. Not easy to beat with that budget.
    Interesting... i see that is a change of operating system. Whats it like in comparison to ios? Does it still do chromecast , spotify etc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Hi All

If you could benefit me with your digital wisdom I'd be most grateful, I'm considering buying a portable mp3 (+whateverelseformatwise) player for my daily commute etc. I have a phone which is ok but the memory is ltd (32Gb) and built in so not expandable . So after consideration have decided to purchase something dedicated for portable use. All music will be ripped from my CD collection to PC if that makes any difference and I haven't got much preference for any format FLAC,MP3 etc so am not fussed about this.

Can you recommend a player for me? Anything considered , budget about- £150-200 maybe a bit more at a stretch for the right unit.

Any advice and comments gratefully received!

Cheers Andy

edited to add , would prefer something not Appley, thanks.
    Time for a new 'not appley' phone then, with an expandable SD card slot (up to 200GB), and Poweramp for FLAC, a Samsung S5 would fit the bill...oh and it makes calls too

P.S. If you're going to the trouble of ripping your CDs do it to FLAC, with DBpoweramp, it's something you only want to do once...
    Cheers, Will

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Thank will I need ichoons to use it though?

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Time for a new 'not appley' phone then, with an expandable SD card slot (up to 200GB), and Poweramp for FLAC, a Samsung S5 would fit the bill...oh and it makes calls too

P.S. If you're going to the trouble of ripping your CDs do it to FLAC, with DBpoweramp, it's something you only want to do once...
    yeah but other than the memory my phone is fine fancy a separate gadget , Thanks for the FLAC heads up, is DB Poweramp a programme?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    yeah but other than the memory my phone is fine fancy a separate gadget , Thanks for the FLAC heads up, is DB Poweramp a programme?
    I think the Fiio portables are pretty well respected...

http://www.ea-audio.co.uk/fiio_music_players.html

...yes DBpoweramp is ripping, tagging, etc. software...

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

...not free, but well worth it IMHO

Check sum digit accurate rip DB comparisons, automatic tagging from 5 amalgamated sources, art work, batch conversion etc.

It also worth investing in a good quality external cd/dvd drive, the bigger the better, makes the task much quicker and more accurate
    Last edited by WAD62; 02-03-2017 at 15:49.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Luke.

No, hence the Rockbox firmware alternative. More flexible in terms of file format, but can't recall off the top of my head if it does flac as haven't used it in a few years, would have to check! Apple music devices used to be pretty good in terms of sound quality, and that was one of the best. Only limitations were storage capacity and battery life, both easily remedied!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast