+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lenco and Photobucket is being a bucket of poo

I'm Ian.

Not sure I would call it rumble now, it's more like there is a frequency being picked up from the motor and amplified. It's not a hum as per a grounding loop but something much bassier??
    I did wonder about the proximity of the unshielded tone arm leads from the WTA when in the rear position but moving it to the usual right hand side
    position improves matters slightly but not by much.
    Hi Simon, maybe you're on to something here. Is there any chance what you are hearing is the 50Hz mains? Arms placed behind the platter are obviously nearer the motor and can be more susceptible to picking up noise but that's usually rumble. Do you have an alternative tonearm to try? Given you have swapped/serviced all the Lenco parts maybe the problem isn't with the Lenco What cartridge are you using - not a Grado by chance?

I'm Simon.

Hi Ian,

using the well tempered arm and an old Goldring Epic 11. This has been my standard go to for testing, using on all the past Lencos
    and never caused any problems. Only time I ever experienced problems with a Grado was on an LP 12 when it got near the inside
    of the record. Unfortunately my collection of arms has long since gone and much as I'd loved to have tried it if the latest deck was playing ball,
    the thought of stripping the Kuzma/Koetsu of the Oracle to be met with the same problem holds no fascination at the moment.
    It's weird as the current deck is as near silent to the naked ear as I've ever achieved, hence my frustration. Will try running the deck from
    another outlet on it's own or maybe stick on iec plug and run it from the Hydra but given it's running from the same outlets
    I normally use for the Lencos, I'm not overly hopefull:-(

I'm Ralph.

I've often wondered how a PTP isolates the motor from the rest of the deck when both plates are bolted to the same lump of wood. Get your stethoscope out Si and have a listen around. If the deck is mechanically quiet then you need to be looking for electrical noise. Is everything properly grounded and tied together including the tone arms?
    Ralph.

I'm Simon.

Ever felt foolish? What could it possibly be, what changed... laptop psu was replaced.
    Unplugged it and the deck is as quiet as a mouse and sounds great at any volume.
    Now to dismantle and finish the plinth cosmetically..

I'm Ralph.

Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees.
    Ralph.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    I've often wondered how a PTP isolates the motor from the rest of the deck when both plates are bolted to the same lump of wood. Get your stethoscope out Si and have a listen around. If the deck is mechanically quiet then you need to be looking for electrical noise. Is everything properly grounded and tied together including the tone arms?
    it doesn't
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Andrew.

Simon,

Just caught up on this thread. Have you tried replacing the mounting springs for the motor? I had a similar problem to yourself where I just couldn't get the motor to stop humming and on close inspection I noticed that one of the motor mounting springs had been crushed and was no longer blocking vibration. Alternatively make sure the springs are sitting correctly in the mounting sockets on the motor. I appreciate that you've done a few of these but even the most experieced rebuilder can sometimes forgot a something simple.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12