+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celestion ditton 15 - restoration project

I'm Andrew.

Default Celestion ditton 15 - restoration project

Here we go again. I've tried the 15XR's, nice speakers but always wanted the 15's. I decided to do a little modding and updating so watch this space..
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt 2 - A couple of hours work.

This is the second pair of 15's I've had and this pair is by far the smartest. The cabinets seem better constructed than my old 15XR's. I decided to start this project out of boredom whilst waiting for some parts for my Lenco 75 project to arrive.

The Celestion 15 - A decentish 70's speaker that can be picked up for <£50 usually.

DSCN2960.jpg

The goodies from Hi-Fi collective. Some nice caps, a pair of solid copper (gold plated) binding posts and some DUELUND cable (the vintage tone variety), more on that later.

DSCN2963.jpg

Access to the X-O is simple. Just unscrew the ABR unit and the XO is held in place with 4 screws, x2 for the XO itself and x2 for the binding posts.

DSCN2968.jpg

5 minutes later we have some lovely new binding posts installed.

DSCN2973.jpg

Another five minutes later and the single cap is replaced on the first XO.

DSCN2974.jpg

Total time spent so far approx 30 minutes.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt 3

A quick shot showing old parts for new.

DSCN2970.jpg

Open heart surgery!!

DSCN2976.jpg

This pic shows the speakers where made in March 1977, so they are 40 this months . Well as they are getting an overhaul as a 40th birthday pressie!!!

DSCN2977.jpg

The old XO wiring to be used as a template for the new wiring lengths.

DSCN2981.jpg

A steady 10-15 minutes later and I have cables cut for both speakers to be rewired.

DSCN2982.jpg

Time take so far about 75 minutes. It's a nice steady project which I'm enjoying. There is no rush with this little project and I'm really looking forward to hooking them up to see what the new caps and wiring sound like. Stay tuned
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Pt 4

Rewiring one of the 15's today. It's uesful to take a few snaps of the driver units so we know how to re-wire! Here's the bass and tweeter.

DSCN2975.jpgDSCN2978.jpg

And here's the XO rewired with "vintage tone" Duelund AWG20 wire. Not a very good job but who's going to see when it's installed?

DSCN2983.jpg

Well after a little messing around I finished rewiring the 15 and assembled one of the units. I now have to do all this again over the weekend. My treat for this weekend with be having a mess around with the speakers, sipping a little whisky and reviewing the effects of the Duelund wiring. I now have a complete loom of Duelund wiring. The IC's and speaker cable are Duelund 20AWG whilst both speakers will eventually wind up fully re-wired with the same stuff. Should be fun!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Felipe.

Enjoying this one, eager to know your thoughts on the final results and sonic differences. I did the same thing a couple of times and surprisingly on a couple of them enjoyed more the original sound with the old nasty elcaps :| Never used ClarityCap's though.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Xapito View Post
    Enjoying this one, eager to know your thoughts on the final results and sonic differences. I did the same thing a couple of times and surprisingly on a couple of them enjoyed more the original sound with the old nasty elcaps :| Never used ClarityCap's though.
    Thanks Felipe. The project is now finished. All in I think it took about 5-6 hours taking things quite slowly.

Now, just a few notes.

1. The Claritycap's legs are slightly wider than the Elcap so a 1.5mm drill will be needed to drill the XO PCB so they fit.
    2. The binding posts are also slightly larger than the originals and a 6mm drill will be needed to slightly widen the binding post sockets on the speaker cabinet.
    3. I've not massively modded these speakers but the newer binding posts now enable a wider selection of cables which can be used with the speakers.
    4. The speakers have been specifically rewired with Duelund 20AWG tinned copper for a "REAL SOUND" experiment, visit WWW.JEFFSPLACE.ME for more info.

I hope this little thread will help all those that want to try or mod the Celestion ditton 15.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

And what kind of turntable is this you have now Andy
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    And what kind of turntable is this you have now Andy
    Still the same old Lenco. Just waiting for the tonearm Brian then I can start spinning some vinyl again.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Have you sent it away already ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Yep, been away about a week now.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast