+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Origin Live Onyx tonearm

I'm Shaun.

First things; regarding fitting of the Onyx arm, because of the thickness of the Nottingham Analogue armboard I could not use a lower locking nut so I had to use a Rega aluminium collar and clamp it from the two side points as in the Rega armboard. It all tightens up fine and there is no movement of the arm pillar. The Nottingham Analogue armboard though is around two inches thick.

I have found on listening a bit more that on electronic music involving a fair bit of filter work that there is a considerable amount of tizz and fizz to the top end. This I know could well be due to the DL103 not matching correctly with the new arm. I love the level of micro detail that the DL103 uncovers but think that I may have to move back to my Benz Micro Silver cartridge. This does not suffer from the same problem and has a very smooth top end. I am also aware that the ambient temperature at the moment is quite cool and this I know does not fare well with analogue playback. My own experience is that things sound very much better during the summer months.

Yes, this tonearm is kind of growing on me and I like the new sound apart from the tizzy and fizzy top end.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    First things; regarding fitting of the Onyx arm, because of the thickness of the Nottingham Analogue armboard I could not use a lower locking nut so I had to use a Rega aluminium collar and clamp it from the two side points as in the Rega armboard. It all tightens up fine and there is no movement of the arm pillar. The Nottingham Analogue armboard though is around two inches thick.
    I suspect this is far from ideal and not how the OL arm has been designed to be mounted. I would speak to Mark Baker at OL.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Shaun.

OK, so I have now solved the problem of the tizzy, fizzy razor sharp high frequencies. I have just lowered the loading on the cartridge using the jumpers in the Rothwell Headamp. It was set at 360 Ohms but is now set at 200 Ohms. Phew, what a nice restrained sound I am now getting. Also, the left/right wiring of the tonearm was reversed so I have just swapped RCA's going into the headamp so that everything is now according to compact disc playback. I thought that some of the imagery was a bit strange when compared to what I am used to.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    I suspect this is far from ideal and not how the OL arm has been designed to be mounted. I would speak to Mark Baker at OL.
    Origin Live quote on their website that the armboard can only be a maximum of 25mm thick to fit one of their tonearms. The Nottingham Analogue armboard is way thicker than that. In fact, I would say it is around 50mm thick, so no chance there I guess. That is why I have had to use an alloy collar around the arm pillar thread clamping via the NA Allen bolts in the mounting board. This is the Nottingham Analogue method for fitting to their deck not the Origin Live method. On the Origin Live website they state that one should contact the turntable manufacturer for further information so it would appear that I am using the correct method for this type of deck.

So far I am becoming aware of a much greater sense of detail with this tonearm over the previous RB250. Having just played Damon Albarn's 'Everyday Robots' I am just about gobsmacked by the extra detail that is now just so obvious. There is also a much greater sense of realism and space in the recorded sound. It is growing on me and things are becoming much more obvious as I listen to more vinyl. As always I jumped the gun a bit and thought too quickly before becoming familiar with a lot of vinyl.

blackstar Guest

Glad you are happy with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12