+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Other interests - Band/Stage lighting

I'm Rich.

Default Other interests - Band/Stage lighting

Haven't been posting a lot on here recently and feel I should say a little about another interest which has somewhat temporarily overtaken my interest in hifi. Since my tribute band started up again we have been focusing on becoming more self sufficient in our sound and lighting, previously we paid a lot of money to put on shows and often only the sound and light guys would see any money at the end of it. Whilst they saved us a load of headache and set up, it often meant turning down small gigs where we knew we'd be out of pocket at the end of it. Our new guitarist brought with him some excellent PA and digital mixer so I took it upon myself to sort the lighting. As anyone who enjoys live music will know, good lighting and effects can transform a live performance into an experience, take the show to another level and that was my mission.

So tentatively I made a few initial purchases of various light bars and the normal stuff you see pub bands out with but none of it really satisfied for me. Some was just plain boring, other kit looked too much like an awful cheesy disco. Very frustrating, none of the provided foot or infrared controls allowed the degree of intelligence to the performance I was seeking. Thank heavens for distance selling regs as I was able to return products I found didn't live up to their hype and promises.

Back to the drawing board, I was going to have to build this thing thoughtfully and progressively, aiming to get the basics such as stage wash right, then adding effects and wow factor as I went. Control would need to be something I could run from the stage whilst playing so I knew that programming was a bridge I'd need to cross sooner of later.

So the last few months has seen me spend countless evenings and weekends build a lighting truss, bit by bit, learning about DMX and midi control and taking notes from various live performances I've seen of things I liked and which I didn't.

I've also began to notice how inadequate house lighting is in so many venues and in my efforts to practice my skills I've volunteered my services to other bands who have really appreciated having an actual show to dazzle their audiences with. I've added moving head effects, lasers, blinders, scanners, smoke/haze and projectors to the rig. It's actually been a really enjoyable journey and sees me spending less time in front of the stereo and more time at local gigs. I learn a little more with every show and the set up is gradually becoming more professional looking. It's an interesting distraction and one which seems to go hand in hand with my love of live music.

On the downside the house is again rapidly filling up with kit and cables, much to the consternation of Mrs B but she gets it I think and the fact that I'm often driving to shows means I'm not turning drunk in the small hours, well less frequently anyway

So, that's what's been keeping me distracted from fiddling with the stereo. Just thought I'd update here as hifi is still a passion and gives me immense enjoyment but a guy can only have so many pastimes can't he.

Roll on NEBO though, I'll bring some bits and bobs to light the kit which might please the photographers amongst us.

All the best

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ian.

Love to see some photos Rich, as an ex muso I know exactly what you're saying. I've not played in anger for a long time but I do remember the dismal offerings of venues and trying to provide some visual entertainment as well as giving the crowds tinnitus.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm the slim chap with the Rickenbacker and the pony tail......no hair at all now lol
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Rich.

Here's some from a recent trial run of some kit, getting to grips with a couple of moving heads and some uplighting.

The rig is bigger now I've added 2 x 250w scanners and 2x 200w gobo projectors. Lots of beams and laser like effects now.

I'm Ian.

Looks really good, makes such a difference. Pink Floyd watch out lol
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Rich.

A few more from a very psychedelic night recently featuring a couple of local bands. Tiny venues so no room for trusses. Had to get creative and hanging stuff from bannisters and on the floor.

The bands are 'Velvoir' and 'Behold a Pale Horse'. You can check em out on Spotify or YouTube.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Looks really good, makes such a difference. Pink Floyd watch out lol
    LOL, the circular projection screen is my next project. When I was at local recycling place the other week someone had dumped a kids trampoline which gave me an idea so I brought it home and its in the garden waiting to have white spandex stretched over the frame and spotlights attached to it. No idea how I'll hang it though..

+ Reply to Thread