+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM or hidh output MC cartridge

I'm Matt.

Default MM or hidh output MC cartridge

Hi guys, I know there is a lot of similiar topics here, but still would like your insight. I own Technics 1200 mk5 turntable, with stock arm. My pre amp is graham slee jazz club, than to rme babyface and quad esl 57 speakers. I never tried mc, and would like to upgrade my poor and cheap mm cartridge (or switch to high output mc) . I'm looking for transparency (magic word, which each can define different way) quality soundstage. I'm looking to spend up to 200 pounds for it on second hand market, so something up to 400 or 500 (lesser known till now, best kept secret alike)
    It will be mostly for enjoying acoustic/jazz/blues records from 60-80s as current electronic music, even if very interesting, is poorly mixed. Regards

PS Could you recommend me a good xlr cables? 2.0 m long/each
    quality matching price up to 120 quid per 2.0 m.
    Is it good for a sound? I mean..2 meters is a long way, you should keep your cables as short as possible, right?

I'm Adam.

The Jazz Club only offers 47kOhm loading and, despite what manufacturers say, High Output MCs rarely work at their best into a value this high.

I'd stick with an MM.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Hugo.

So would I. The Audio Technica AT-150SA moving magnet cartridge (now replaced by the VM750SH) is a lovely sounding thing, very suitable for a Technics arm, and IMO way better than most high output moving coils at typically higher prices.

I'm Matt.

Thank you guys.

+ Reply to Thread