+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SSD vs. HDD for Music Storage ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ho View Post
    SO QUESTION #1: What about storage for all the FLAC files I have? I know SSD costs more than traditional HDD, but other than that, are there any specific benefits that one medium has over the other? (At present I have them all stored on a networked Western Digital drive - and I've seen Rothchild's BEWARE notice regarding Seagate's NAS, meaning WD must do the same DNS request thing.)

AND QUESTION #2 (somewhat related): Is there a downside (besides relatively limited storage capacity) to simply using an android tablet (like my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2) to store and play music out of the 3.5mm headphone jack into the RCA audio inputs on my pre-amp? (I believe the Tab S2 comes with a built-in DAC.)

Hope #2 doesn't horrify any readers! Ha, ha.
    Hi Adrian

1. If it's not going to be directly connected to your DAC, eg a NAS (QNAP etc., avoid that Seagate device!), and outside of your listening area go with regular HDDs.

2. I'd avoid the headphone output however I can stream FLAC from both my Samsung S4, and Note 8 (both have 128GB SDs), via an OTG USB cable, into numerous USB DACs, there's a thread somewhere on one of the Android forum listing compatible devices...I use an iFi Nano, but I only use this setup on holiday etc., and the iFi's on board battery takes a load off the phone/tablet.

The main downside to 2 is the OTG cable prevents you from charging, and USB host is quite battery intensive, there are some OTG cables that offer charging adapters but I don't think one can do both simultaneously...

However if you're at all computer literate at all I'd recommend going the pi route, I've got 2 up and running as players (IQaudio/pi2/piCorePlayer, Audiophonics/pi2/piCorePlayer), and only last night built a new LMS server with a pi3/piCoreplayer referencing my QNAP NAS Flac library.

I'm currently running LMS on my QNAP NAS, however the new pi3 allows me to run the latest version of LMS, and secondly fully indexes 30K FLAC tracks in 35mins, about 15mins quicker than the old QNAP. So I will be turning off the old version of LMS shortly...
    Last edited by WAD62; 06-03-2017 at 15:15.
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread