+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SSD vs. HDD for Music Storage ?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Adrian, I'd recommend a separate DAC for your main (or only ) system too! I use an upgraded MDAC in mine, which also gives you the flexibility of using it for other digital sources...

If you already have a laptop that might be a good starting point, you could always try a Pi later on...

Are you intending to rip your CDs? You'll need a laptop for that at least...
    Hi Will, already went through the lonnnng pain of ripping over a 1000 CDs. Whew. Used a Mac Mini for that at home, with an external CD reader and hard disk, and used my PC at work, but with an internal CD reader and an external hard disk. I will transfer all the files in due course to the RAID I purchase.

I have been in and out of so many Hi-Fi stores over the past month and most of them are clearly more keen on doing business (that is, after all, why they exist!) than objectively informing me about what I should or should not consider. Only a couple of guys have come across as genuinely interested and even their input has varied.

What might be helpful for me is a schematic showing the whole picture. Have you come across one? For instance, are you saying I need the laptop as that is what will control the NAS via the router? And how does one connect a DAC to the router? I haven't seen an ethernet jack on the DACs I've been looking at, only USB plugs.

BTW, have been toying with selling my Magnum Audio system (much as I respect Colin Wonfor) and buying something like the Luxman L-590AX Mark II (Pure Class A). (Any idea how one goes about finding how much an old amplifier is worth?) Even found some fetching English speakers to replace my aging Celestions. Have you listened to the Spendor A6Rs? Very nice. But I have to admit I also liked the Wharfedale Jade 5s as they provided a little more oomph. Ah, sooo many choices!
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply
    Speakers: Now: Epos Elan 15s; Previously: Celestion SL700s

CD: Linn Mimik
    DAC Streamer: Cambridge Audio CXN

I'm Colin.

Hi Adrian,

The Magnum selling second hand is very rare so pricing maybe hard, now days it is the mucked about Pre that should be changed this version is to be honest not my work it was bodged by another and not I.
    The A100 may also have been played with by another so open lid and post pics please.
    The originals were IMO amazing and so cheap I wonder how Tony Relph made a living from it.
    The original A100 also had H-Pak FETS now very rare but the good news is I have made a PCB which allow TO-247AC to be used.
    So Photos please.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    Hi Adrian,

The Magnum selling second hand is very rare so pricing maybe hard, now days it is the mucked about Pre that should be changed this version is to be honest not my work it was bodged by another and not I.
    The A100 may also have been played with by another so open lid and post pics please.
    The originals were IMO amazing and so cheap I wonder how Tony Relph made a living from it.
    The original A100 also had H-Pak FETS now very rare but the good news is I have made a PCB which allow TO-247AC to be used.
    So Photos please.
    Yessir! Will go out and buy a set of Allen wrenches now, Colin. Photos on the way shortly (I hope). Thank you, Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Ho; 21-03-2017 at 10:51.
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply

I'm Adrian.

What pray tell do the contents reveal? Would you like to see the insides of the Pre-Amp? Or the Power Supply?

I'm Grant.

Adrian, your trying to show pics from dropbox. They wont work as dropbox is not a host site. You need an account with a hosting company like imageshack etc....or you could put them in with a mobile device using tapatalk.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Adrian, your trying to show pics from dropbox. They wont work as dropbox is not a host site. You need an account with a hosting company like imageshack etc....or you could put them in with a mobile device using tapatalk.
    Thank you, Grant. Was wondering why I was having trouble. Funny thing was the first couple of tries I saw no images in my reply, but at least for me in #24 above I still can see what I uploaded.

In any case, here I try again using imageshack (and as I say above, pray tell what the contents reveal, Colin or others...):

I'm Adrian.

Yikes, no comments?! Were the contents of the A100 too shocking?! (Hope not as I unplugged them before opening, )

I'm Dennis.

I immediately want to start tidying it up; it looks like a kitchen just after meal preparation.

Inter-weaving wires are usually unbeneficial, and they also hinder seeing what is going on.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I immediately want to start tidying it up; it looks like a kitchen just after meal preparation.

Inter-weaving wires are usually unbeneficial, and they also hinder seeing what is going on.
    Yes, Dennis, after years of looking at that rather sleek exterior cabinet, I was surprised to see the jumble of wires inside. But I figured that a more discerning eye might understand the logic of it all! I eagerly await Colin Wonfor's take on the matter. Who knows, what's there now may not be what was originally manufactured. I have had the units serviced a couple of times.

I'm Neil.

SSD for me because they are totally silent. I have a fanless media server. No difference in audio quality though, because music is accessed in RAM, and not straight off the hard disk, but in anycase any SATA drive has way higher read and write speeds than any audio file requires.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast