+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kalimera From Athens

I'm David.

Default Kalimera From Athens

Hello Everyone,

I have just signed up as I found a link to this forum on another fishy forum. I have joined as Costas as I have adopted this as my Greek name so I can enjoy "Name Days" which is as serious as a birthday here in Greece. I am originally from Burnley and still follow my team.

I have owned Hifi since I was a teen although my kit has changed a bit since the 70's. I started with some Trio separates and Wharfdale speakers (Ditton I think). I worked overseas for a while and on returning got some new-ish kit, Arcam and Marantz, my first CD player in the early 90's. Kids then meant a bit of a hiatus as I put all the boxes back in the loft. Moving house resulted in an accident and insurance claim. This forced me back into a Hifi shop for the first time in years and was the start of a slippery slope. New Arcam system (FMJ) amps which were soon replaced piecemeal by Naim which I had just has a listen to round at a friends.

I now have a full Naim system, 500 series electronics, Rega RP8 TT with Naim Superline as my phono. Late last year I acquired new speakers after 7 months of trying new speakers in shops and at home. B&W 802 D3's now front the system.

Being at Uni in the 70's means my main influences were the new wave/punk sounds. As I nipper I listened to Motown and still do. Playing bass means Motown is close to my heart due to those great James Jamerson bass hooks. I enjoy most rock/blues and a fair amount of modern artists. I really tried to "get" classical last year, but failed. I tend to be a bit of a critical listener but can enjoy anything with any musical merit.

Dave

I'm Gary.

Kalimera Dave

I'm Dimitris.

Welcome mate

David also celebrates at the 1st of November if I remember correctly.
    But not nearly as big a nameday as Kostas enjoys Good choice
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Geoff.

Hi David. Welcome to AOS.

There are quite a few Naim fans here, so you'll be in good company.

Take a look around the site. You'll find every aspect of Hi-Fi is covered.

Feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you. The members are friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Hi Dave and welcome.

Would love to hear a 500 series Naim system! I have an original CDS 1 and if and when I fancy a CD 555.

Love James Jamerson's lines as well. I can heartily recommend Swing Street Cafe by David T Walker and Joe Sample if you haven't already got it. Features James Jamerson and Earl Palmer from the Motown stable, maybe some of the horn players too, I'm not sure. It's a cracking guitar and piano led *proper* R&B instrumental album, really cooks! One of my favourites and probably one of the last albums by JJ.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Hi Dave and welcome.

Would love to hear a 500 series Naim system! I have an original CDS 1 and if and when I fancy a CD 555.

Love James Jamerson's lines as well. I can heartily recommend Swing Street Cafe by David T Walker and Joe Sample if you haven't already got it. Features James Jamerson and Earl Palmer from the Motown stable, maybe some of the horn players too, I'm not sure. It's a cracking guitar and piano led *proper* R&B instrumental album, really cooks! One of my favourites and probably one of the last albums by JJ.
    Thanks to all for the welcome.

@JohnJo, it has taken some time to climb up to the 500 series. I did enjoy stopping off at 252/300 though. I will have a look for Swing Street Cafe. I was not aware of his work outside Motown. Sad story all round with JJ and the theft of his legendary P Bass.

I will have a good browse round the site now.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread