+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interconnect conundrum

I'm Adrian.

Default Interconnect conundrum

I have a question....

I need to buy 2 pairs of interconnects, 1 between SUT and phono, the other between phono and linestage.

I've been taking with Paul at RFC as I know his cables have an excellent reputation. Paul has recommended Pluto for SUT to Phono and maybe Mercury or Venus for phono to linestage.

But here's my question... The Pluto isn't as refined as the top mercury and Venus, and doesn't have their ultimate resolution of fine detail. So, if the Pluto is losing information what's the point of putting a higher resolving cable after it - information will have been lost beforehand - no?

Paul says that the mercury and Venus aren't suitable due to their capacitance - so should I be looking for a better cable to go between SUT and phono?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

Paul is the one to answer this Adrian. Speak to him again to gain some clarification.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

I wouldn't worry. I very much doubt that you will hear any difference.
    IB

I'm Adrian.

I've been speaking to Paul about it and he's been incredibly helpful. I guess it's more complex than I suggested in my post but my thinking and methodology has always been to have the purest source possible and then try to maintain that down the chain. Knowing that there is a cable above the Pluto that has more finesse and fine resolution in my (maybe topsy-turvy) world means it should go first. Just frustrating that capacitance means I can't.... Hence my question about a better cable from another maker followed by Paul's Mercury or Venus.

I hate buying bloody interconnects!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Gary.

Can anyone answer what difference does capacitance have on IC cables, and why do they differ in different position in the chain?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Can anyone answer what difference does capacitance have on IC cables, and why do they differ in different position in the chain?

Capacitance is really only an issue between MM cartridges and phonostages. Many (not all) MM cartridges work well with lowish total capacitative loading, in the region 150 to 350pF total. If you have a cable with capacitance of say 150pF/m and a 2m run to the phonostage, you already have 300pF before you count the plugs (5pF per plug usually), and the tonarm cable (another 20-50pF or so) then there's the phonostage loading. Many use a standard load on the input for MM of 150pF. Some don't use any. If you take the 150pF case, then you may end up with a total load of about 520pF which, cartridge depending, may be enough to cause quite an audible roll-off in response.

For that reason, it is usually sensible and desirable to keep cable capacitance as low as possible between MM output and phonostage.

It's not always an issue between MC outputs and SUT's or phonostages, as capacitance may not be quite as important a consideration here (post edit: providing that the SUT's design means that cable capacitance won't be detrimental, but always safer to stick with lower capacitance cables in such cases anyway).

It's also not so much an issue at the source output from line level as that can drive reasonable lengths. E.g. At line level from pre or from phonostage/DAC/CD outputs, it's pretty much a non issue and you can get away with fairly long lengths providing that you keep geometry sensible and don't use unusually high capacitance cables.
    Last edited by Reffc; 01-03-2017 at 14:27.

I'm Adrian.

Paul, are you saying that the mercury would be OK between my MC cart/SUT/ MM input in phonostage?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Marcus.

I can't comment about the specifics of your situation, although I do understand you want the best cables in place along the whole chain.
    What I can say is, Paul has never given bad advice - if he says the Pluto is the best cable for the job, then I would believe him.
    Maybe you could have a Pluto cable with the Venus super-dooper plugs?
    I have yet to come across a better set of plugs than those, and they do make a significant difference (at a price).
    Maybe Paul does not think that it is worth it for its position, or there is some technical reason not to do so - I'll let him comment.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Phil.

i have used the pluto in 24 k worth of amplification and still do . its a superb interconnect . i was using some high end interconnects and paul made some hyperion the other day . pretty damm good for 100 quid and he is highly recommended for care and attention to detail

save your money for better boxes
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Paul.

Thank you for your kind comments chaps.

Ade, the reason that I recommended the Plutos for your situation is that I believed they'd give the best VFM and performance in your particular case. Being unfamiliar with your specific SUT, I don't know whether it uses (for example) any specific series zobel across the secondary windings to control HF ringing as some do so I suggested the least reactive cable for that situation. For most SUT's it's not an issue and the Mercury may or may not have advantages depending on length (for shorter lengths where capacitance is not an issue, there's little advantages, but for much over say 1.5m lengths, I'd recommend the Mercury as the design in theory results in slightly better S/N retention). After your phonostage, between it and your amp, the Mercury is the one I would recommend. The Pluto and Neptune are my go-to cables for most phono applications using modest lengths because they are very low reactance and well shielded. I've send a private e:mail explaining this further for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast