+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pye Mozart HF S20 valve amp (+Garrard 4HF)

I'm steve.

Thats a good find, i have the stereo version of the amp its got a sperate pre amp, ive not used it for a while but its a very nice amp
    I had the matching tuner but i swapped that a few years ago, unfortunately

I replaced all the caps in the power amp and the pre, it made a world of difference

Cheers steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    Thats a good find, i have the stereo version of the amp its got a sperate pre amp, ive not used it for a while but its a very nice amp
    I had the matching tuner but i swapped that a few years ago, unfortunately

I replaced all the caps in the power amp and the pre, it made a world of difference

Cheers steve
    Yeah new electrolytics at least is on the to-do list, rather sooner than later. There's not that many of those so should be a fairly straigth forward job. I'm wondering if I should just clip the leads on the current ones and solder the new ones into those - I'm concerned the 70 year old PCB wouldn't take kindly to soldering, but on the other hand those 70 year old solder joints would probably also warrant some attention. It sounds surprisingly good as-is, but I'm sure new caps would be drastic improvement.

Kai

I'm Kai.

I also realized these have been modified, no idea by whom or if it could've even been at manufacture for that specific console, but besides the two ECC83s there's also an EF88 mounted on a box, sticking upwards looking like it doesn't belong... which is how I realized it maybe doesn't... in the picture they are the valves sticking proudly upwards with their shields, when everything else is so neatly and tightly packed. I haven't yet tried to figure out how they fit into the circuit. Maybe someone added a gainstage? I suppose this could be seen as a slight set back or in the best case scenario even an added bonus if it actually improves the preamp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12