+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OB Experiments

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default OB Experiments

Have recently lashed up a pair of Altec Lansing 806-8a's with Isophon tweeters. Sounding pretty good so far-

Great match with the OTL, being around 104db!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nathan.

Cool. Is that one of the Transcendent amps? They're made in my neck of the woods. I've been wanting to try one out.

I'm Geoff.

Those Isophons look familiar Ali.

Nice aren't they?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    Cool. Is that one of the Transcendent amps? They're made in my neck of the woods. I've been wanting to try one out.
    Tis indeed, the Mini Beast. Very good amp indeed, if 4w is enough for your speakers. I run an active system, with the OTL only used from 700hz, so has an easy life, especially with the Altecs being around 104db or so..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Those Isophons look familiar Ali.

Nice aren't they?
    They are indeed Geoff. Thought it was about time I gave them an airing. :-)

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nathan.

I think 4 watts would be a little light for my setup. I've been reading up on The Son Of Beast. We live in the same town, but I've never met him. I've read his books. I'm surprised we've never crossed paths.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, some very sensitive speakers required. Very good amp IMO though, only recently built it.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nathan.

My speakers are 98db, but they seem to like a little more power. I like it loud too.

His designs look solid. The Beast looks awesome but I'd probably need a commercial air-conditioner with two of those running.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, they do have the tendency to act as a room heater too. Not quite such an issue over here though, with our crappy weather. :-)

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    I've been reading up on The Son Of Beast.
    I built his original 25W OTL many years ago and used it for serious listening for many years. Very good sound but unfortunately the custom mains transformer failed a while ago.
    I have bought a couple of replacement transformers and am going to re-build it along the lines of the Son of Beast, but with a few of my own tweaks.

I like OTLs, I only have three

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast