+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest, easiest, way to get website

I'm Jez.

Default Cheapest, easiest, way to get website

Time to get a website up and running once again and I don't want to go through all the palaver of re learning HTML etc so just the easiest, quickest, wysiwyg method of building it and then having it hosted. What's the word on AOS street on this? One thing I would like is to be able to contact the host company by telephone.... my last web host deliberately made this impossible and so I won't be using them again...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Time to get a website up and running once again and I don't want to go through all the palaver of re learning HTML etc so just the easiest, quickest, wysiwyg method of building it and then having it hosted. What's the word on AOS street on this? One thing I would like is to be able to contact the host company by telephone.... my last web host deliberately made this impossible and so I won't be using them again...
    WordPress. They will do the hosting and you can either buy an address, or transfer one you already own over. You can have one up and running in 20 minutes. You can install it on any web host you already have as well. It used to be mainly for blogs, but it's full featured now.

Bigman80 Guest

Go Jez !!! Good luck mate, hope you get some business through it. The reviews on your phono stage are very impressive

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Weebly.com very very easy.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

Ok well I've checked out weebly and wordpress and they seem to be virtually identical. Both seem to share my biggest bugbear which is the impossibility of actually contacting them with any query etc.... faceless mega corps R us!

I can't even find an answer to whether or not one can use the cheapest paid for service for business purposes! The more expensive ones which say they are for business use claim things like unlimited on line storage, web sales capability etc, non of which interest me. All I need is something like my old website which tells people what I do, with some back ground etc and has a "contact us" bit which gives my phone number and opens up an email window for enquiries.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Nathan.

Ok well I've checked out weebly and wordpress and they seem to be virtually identical. Both seem to share my biggest bugbear which is the impossibility of actually contacting them with any query etc.... faceless mega corps R us!

I can't even find an answer to whether or not one can use the cheapest paid for service for business purposes! The more expensive ones which say they are for business use claim things like unlimited on line storage, web sales capability etc, non of which interest me. All I need is something like my old website which tells people what I do, with some back ground etc and has a "contact us" bit which gives my phone number and opens up an email window for enquiries.
    You can do all of that with the basic version of WordPress. Most web providers here offer an automatic install of it through your login portal. I assume it's the same in the UK. I use HostGator, but I don't know what you have available. They answer the phones.

I've never used Weebly but I've heard it's fairly similar. You can set up one of the free WordPress accounts to try it and see if you can put it together the way you want. The business accounts offer online payment and more plugins, but it doesn't sound like you need any of those options.

I'm Kevin.

Yola is cheap and easy to use all sites can be used for business. Not sure if they have phone support - I used their email support once and got very quick and accurate answers. I know nothing about websites and I managed to get it working.

I'm Dimitris.

Wordpress is mature, proven, extensible and really easy to use.
    But like all similar platforms, it needs some extra hands-on work. Even if you chose the hosted WordPress option.

If you want something really hands-off that will look nice for a minimum of work, I have had good experience with Wix and Shopify (they have chat and phone support).
    They give nice value for the money spent.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Bill.

I use weebly - never had a problem.

Cheers. Bill

I'm Jez.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll look into them and hopefully get something up and running before long. My last website was on-line for about 6 years and I made it myself the hard way with Adobe Dreamweaver... that was some learning curve! and unfortunately long forgotten

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast