+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For sale - General Amp Clear Out, Jean Hiraga, Gate Audio, Yves cochet

lordmortlock Guest

Now I should know the answer to this, as I'm sure I asked on another forum but I can't find the info anywhere. Thanks for the help Alan, I hoped one of you clever tech geniuses might be able to answer!

I'm Lawrence.

Ok I've done one with the gap towards and one away plus a better shot of some internals. Please let me know if you need more

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Now I should know the answer to this, as I'm sure I asked on another forum but I can't find the info anywhere. Thanks for the help Alan, I hoped one of you clever tech geniuses might be able to answer!
    You might be able to help with this one though.. you very kindly included a spare 90C1 valve but also a 108C1. Did the amp originally come with the currently fitted 90C1 or could it have been the 108C1? And are they interchangeable?

I'm James.

They are likely not interchangeable as they have different regulated voltage outputs (90V vs 108V) and different striking voltages. If the 108C1 was originally fitted then the 90C1 would function but the voltage on the anode rail would be lower than spec and load regulation might also be rather poor, if the 90C1 was originally fitted the 108C1 may work depending on unregulated supply voltage, but if so could be a slightly dangerous sub as it will push up the anode rail voltage which might stress capacitors &c.

Edit:

Lawrence001's tube looks like a Sovtek ECL85 (though it could be PCL85 if Sovtek made those - that would have an 18V heaters so unlikely but...)
    Last edited by Jazid; 03-03-2017 at 19:13.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks James let's see what Jake says unfortunately I can't actually try it out as I stupidly just sold my speakers with at least 1 week til some replacements arrive.

I'm Alan.

Pin out shows it is an ECL85

lordmortlock Guest

was it the 90c1 that was fitted Lawrence?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    was it the 90c1 that was fitted Lawrence?
    Yes theres a 90c1 fitted and a spare one plus the 108c1 spare. Don't want to try the latter if something's going to go up in smoke! But its just a bonus you never mentioned any spares in the ad, I'm just grateful I've got one good spare thanks.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks again Alan and James, do you think it's worth rolling the ECL85 or would it not improve the sound?

I'm James.

Let's wait for Mr Firebottle to judge. Unless it's under spec it's unlikely to have sonic impact IMHO but happy to be corrected

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast