+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible new SqueezeBox server...

Excuse me for maybe going a little off topic here, but I'm reading a lot about Squeezeboxes on AOS. I still don't understand what the point of them is.

My Pc is audio connected to my 'Hi-Fi' by S/PDIF coax. I play something on my PC via Foobar or Winamp, or streaming over the web whatever, and it comes out over the Hi-Fi speakers. Simple. Why does anyone need a Squeezebox?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well the thing about the Touch is you can connect hard-drives directly to it,so since it has a screen,you can access your music without turning the computer on.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    My Pc is audio connected to my 'Hi-Fi' by S/PDIF coax. I play something on my PC via Foobar or Winamp, or streaming over the web whatever, and it comes out over the Hi-Fi speakers. Simple. Why does anyone need a Squeezebox?
    My music files are on a desktop pc in another room.
    Using this machine near my system is not an option - apart from the size issue the thing is relatively noisy (well it is compared to my laptop).
    Squeezebox makes it easy to get the music files to my system.

Then there is another scenario - multiple Squeezebox devices in different rooms. It is possible to have up to 6 independent streams from the serving machine, or if you want you can sync up all the players to play the same music throughout the house.

Lastly, it is possible to access internet radio via the Squeezebox without the serving machine being turned on.

Chris

Ok, makes sense, thanks for your answers

My Pc is in the kitchen (it's a small house!) and Hi-Fi in the lounge (long co-ax!). But it's an open plan house (too small for dividing walls) so it's not a problem. Also, I have a bedroom system and when I want to listen to stuff on my PC I just burn a CDR and play in the bedroom.

But I can understand now why it would be useful for others

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Why does anyone need a Squeezebox?

1. I will never put a PC in my living room.
    2. My wife and children much prefer a Harmony remote than a PC with keyboard and mouse
    3. I don't like PC frontends : I much prefer a server in the garage.
    4. My children love Squeezebox Boom

Are these enough reasons ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Jerry.

The other thing of course is the nice interface on the Squeezebox. Its great haxing your favourites set up and then scrolling to the one you fancy.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Chris.

For those wondering how best to maintain a backup copy of their music collection, you might be interested in Microsoft SyncToy:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I've been using it for years and it's very good. It can be run automatically in the background at regular intervals from the Windows Task Manager too.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    For those wondering how best to maintain a backup copy of their music collection, you might be interested in Microsoft SyncToy:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I've been using it for years and it's very good. It can be run automatically in the background at regular intervals from the Windows Task Manager too.
    There is always Raid for this purpose. A simple 2 port raid card can be had for not much now and ensure all your music is backed up on the fly and safely.
    It gets a bit more expensive the more discs you add to a single raid card mind you. For instance, i've got to get a raid card soon which will take up to 8 discs and there pretty darn expensive.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    There is always Raid for this purpose.
    You seem to say that as if all PCs can support a RAID card

Mine can't
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    You seem to say that as if all PCs can support a RAID card

Mine can't
    Any vaguely modern pc can. (Assuming its not a laptop of course.)
    Its just a case of finding the right type of Raid card (PCI, PCI-Express, etc and also Parrallel or SATA) and drivers.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast