+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Bristol H-Fi Show 2017 Pics and BS

I'm Nathan.

The price of a 405-2 is around $400 here "serviced". The service is always questionable until you open it up and see what they consider serviced.

I actually think they are really good amps for my type of listening, but they generally need some work. I have had quite a few of them over the years but I think the price/performance doesn't really even out.

The Chinese boards cost $50. Another $75 if you want the case with all of the modern connections already cut out. You can do a lot to improve it for the extra $275 that would have went towards a real 405 that needs work.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It could be both. But then it would be opinion as to what qualifies as a 'generally held' opinion.
    That's just your opinion!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's just your opinion!
    It sounds like he's embracing subjectivity to me.

I'm Justin.

A few TAD shots. TAD Compact Evolution One loudspeaker. Worthy of a better room I think quite unable to justify itself and expose expensive speaker advantages in here. Nothing to complain about they clearly sounded fine this year, just not particularly memorable.

I like the higher end TADs. But they are damned expensive. I think they are best appreciated at the likes of Munich where the relative price to the rest of the gear/other loudspeakers at the show isn't high.

Personally, for £18K odd, I kind of want more loudspeaker than this. One that can displace some real air.

I'm Justin.

Gamut and Clearaudio. Just the pics, no comments, apart from it's nice stuff and sounded OK.

Note liking for TT aesthetics from number of TT shots

I'm Justin.

The best ProAc sound of the show came from the Response D30S and Moon kit pictured. At least that I heard and the time I was in the various ProAc rooms. This really did sound quite good when I was in there. Good resolution, nice and tight bass. Nice sparkly highs and all that sort of stuff audiophiles like to hark on about.

I also really liked the finish, which looked better in the flesh than these pics show. I used to have a pair of Response 2.5s, which were good. I think these are quite a bit better than they were. The ones with the Esoteric kit featured earlier are almost certainly better still, but didn't sound it at the time.

I'm Justin.

One filthy TT. Dirty tarts usually come cheap. Expensiveness obviously not close to cleanliness here.

If she cleaned up her act people might be prepared to pay the good money she is probably worth.

I'm Justin.

Active Acoustic Energy AE1s. In white? WTF?

Obviously made by deranged mods.

Will never forget a demo with AE3s years ago playing drums seriously loud. Extremely impressive dynamics. One thing they could certainly do well.

I'm John.

Must say the aesthetics of a lot of this stuff, which the manufacturers have obviously spent a lot of effort on, leaves me cold. Maybe I'm just getting old

That little fella on page one with the bamboo speakers was cool though.

Thanks for posting Justin.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Must say the aesthetics of a lot of this stuff, which the manufacturers have obviously spent a lot of effort on, leaves me cold. Maybe I'm just getting old

That little fella on page one with the bamboo speakers was cool though.

Thanks for posting Justin.
    The white AE1s upset me. I really did like the original looks wise. The 2006 repro just looks soooo much better... i.e. as per the original. Looked liked it meant business, even if it was a bit of an earful at times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast