+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol H-Fi Show 2017 Pics and BS

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    For me, year on year on year on year, the WB stuff always sounds really disappointing. There's a tonne of money here with the CH Precision kit. But it always sounds average in here, no matter what WB speakers are playing. I think the room must be cursed.

I've heard CH Precision gear sound good in Germany with other speakers. I'm pretty sure WB just don't make speakers, at any level, that I have any empathy with at all. You may think differently.

It's not just you Justin.

I've never clicked with anything they've demo'd, at Bristol or elsewhere. It seems like technology for the sake of technology, not for the sake of music. I've never had any emotional reaction to music played through any of their loudspeakers since the days that Jim (ex-Audiolincs) was the technical director with them.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    How did you find the sound, from the Michell/Proac/Sugden combo?

S.
    Too quiet to judge. But it is pretty static - year on year they use ProAc, which are generally decent, as is Sugden. Nothing to worry about there.

Interesting that ProAc seem to be using ribbons quite profusely these days. I will say, though, that the ProAc/Esoteric setup elsewhere left me cold. Must have walked in at the wrong time.

As usual at shows, it is very easy to come to the wrong conclusion. Just going off a few minutes in a room is riddled with flaws, and decent systems are easily missed that way.

I'm Grant.

Guess it proves the point that specs aint everything.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

The ProAc/Esoteric setup I mentioned above. Surely some volume and some music I like would have improved the situation vastly, I thought.

I'm Justin.

AG Zeros. Too freakin' quiet when I was there. I've heard them before at Munich, where I think Duos were quite notably better, and Trios/basshorns better again by a large margin.

The reason it was quiet was simply the sales pitch concerning what appeared to be some sort of media server box thingy. I had no interest in it and left.

I'm Justin.

Another decent sub maker. JL. Paired with ATC. Sounded good. Sub in use about £1800 I think he said, for one. Not cheap, but definitely good I think. If you can live with wall penetrating thudding, that is, the definite downside of high excursion subs. Buy two or a brace if you really don't like that neighbour...

I'm Nathan.

Maybe it's one of the Chinese knockoff 405s. They sound better than the real ones, and look identical from the front.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    Maybe it's one of the Chinese knockoff 405s. They sound better than the real ones, and look identical from the front.
    Interesting.

I'm Justin.

Primare / Revel speakers. Liking that there Primare aesthetic. Sounded pretty alright too - well articulated and detailed. Two pics in varying light, just for the hell of it. I'm assuming that's the American Revel company, responsible for some quite elaborate speakers. Can't be arsed to check.

I'm Justin.

That'll do for today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast