+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Coming Soon to a TV Near You

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Well, I've always read it and took note of anything interesting, so your daftness/memory lapse hasn't been in vain!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

He-heh!

I'm ChrisB.

Tonight on BBC 4

7:30pm
    Concerto at the BBC Proms - Season 1 Episode 1: Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
    Another chance to hear classical music from the BBC Proms, beginning with Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor performed at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005. Soloist Janine Jansen takes to the stage along with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Roger Norrington

8:00pm
    Kathleen Ferrier: An Ordinary Diva
    A 2003 profile of the British contralto singer, exploring how she transformed herself into an international artist with a formidable reputation before her death in 1953. Her story is told using letters sent to family and friends which capture her adventures during tours of Europe, the US and Canada. Featuring interviews with Janet Baker, George Christie, Evelyn Barbirolli and Ian Jack

9:00pm
    Searching for Sugar Man: Storyville

The Oscar-winning documentary tells the story of the American rock icon, Detroit-based singer Sixto Rodriguez. At the outset of his career in the late 1960s he was briefly hailed as one of the finest recording artists of his generation - but his album bombed, and he disappeared into oblivion amid rumours of a gruesome on-stage suicide. A bootleg recording, however, found its way into South Africa during apartheid, becoming a phenomenon, and two devoted fans turned detective to find out what really happened to their hero. The film is directed by the late Malik Bendjelloul

** NOTE FROM TGW - If you haven't seen this film then you owe it to yourself to make a special effort to see it. It is truly wonderful. You don't have to like this type of music to love the film. **

10:20pm
    Troubadours: The Rise of the Singer-Songwriter

Documentary exploring the popularity of singer-songwriters in Los Angeles during the 1970s. Carole King and James Taylor recall the beginnings of their artistic partnership at the Troubadour club in West Hollywood, and reflect on how the scene that grew up around the venue changed pop music. Featuring contributions by Elton John, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Kris Kristofferson, David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Cheech & Chong, Steve Martin, JD Souther and Peter Asher

11:45pm
    Singer-Songwriters at the BBC - Season 1 Episode 1
    An hour-long compilation of classic singles highlighting the growing popularity of the singer-songwriter genre during the 1970s, which became one of the decade's defining styles. Featuring music by Elton John, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond, Steve Goodman, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young

Then come the repeats......

12:45am
    Searching for Sugar Man: Storyville

2:05am
    Troubadours: The Rise of the Singer-Songwriter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yep, Friday night is usually good for music on BBC TV. Tonight's selection on BBC4 is especially good - but don't forget 'Later' on BBC2.
    Barry

The documentary "Searching for Sugar Man" so impressed me, I have just ordered Sixto Rodriguez's first two recordings!
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Tomorrow night on BBC4 06/06/2014

7:30pm
    John Ogdon: Living with Genius
    A family portrait of the celebrated pianist and composer, focusing on his successful musical partnership with wife Brenda Lucas Ogdon, who - along with children Richard and Annabel - speaks candidly about their emotional journey from acclaim and achievement to adversity and despair. Marking 25 years since his death, this programme features memorable archive footage and further interviews with those who knew him best, including violinist Rodney Friend, singer Cleo Laine and fellow pianist Vladimir Ashkenazy

8:30pm
    John Ogdon: A Musical Tribute

Katie Derham presents a piano recital of some of the musician's most famous works from the Music Room at Champs Hill, West Sussex, featuring performances by Peter Donohoe. A selected audience joins in warm tribute to hear timeless classics, 25 years on from his death

9:00pm
    You've Got a Friend: The Carole King Story

The award-winning US singer gives an account of her own life, looking back on her upbringing in Brooklyn, and the subsequent success she enjoyed as part of husband-and-wife songwriting team Goffin and King in the 1960s, including the creation of global hits Take Good Care of My Baby, The Locomotion and Will You Love Me Tomorrow. By 1970, Carole was divorced and had moved to Los Angeles, where she created her classic solo album Tapestry. Now in her seventies, she reveals herself to be as much an environmental activist as a musician, lobbying Congress in defence of the wildlife and eco-systems in her beloved Idaho

10:00pm
    Singer-Songwriters at the BBC - Season 2 Episode 1
    Archive performances from the 1960s and 70s, featuring Leonard Cohen and Julie Felix, Sandy Denny, John Martyn, Don McLean, Tim Buckley, Stealers Wheel, Joni Mitchell, Elton John, Paul Simon, Rab Noakes, Loudon Wainwright III, Clifford T Ward and Cat Stevens

11:00pm
    Still Bill: The Bill Withers Story

Documentary presenting an intimate portrait of American soul singer-songwriter Bill Withers. The film follows the performer as he makes a journey to his birthplace, while also featuring interviews with family, friends and fellow musicians, and footage of concert performances of his greatest hits, including Ain't No Sunshine, Lean on Me and Lovely Day

12:10am
    In Concert: Bill Withers

A 1974 concert by the soulful American singer-songwriter, featuring performances of Lean on Me, Ain't No Sunshine and Grandma's Hands

And again......

12:40am
    You've Got a Friend: The Carole King Story

1:40am
    Season 2 Episode 1: Singer-Songwriters at the BBC

2:40am
    Still Bill: The Bill Withers Story

Tonight on BBC4:

Symphony, New Nations and New Worlds
    Simon Russell Beale explores how composers including Tchikovsky and Sibelius were inspired by the rise of nationalism in Europe during the late 19th century.

Sounds of the Eighties
    Musical performances from the BBC archives, including Depech Mode, the Human Legue, New Order, Bronski Beat, Pet Shop Boys and Erasure.

Britian's Most Dangerous Songs: Listen to the Banned
    The stories of ten songs, dating from the 1930s to the present day, that were considered unsuitable by the BBC for broadcasting on its radio and television stations. With contributions from Carrie Grant, Paul Morley, Suart Maconie, Mike Read and Jon Robb.

More Dangerous Songs: And the Banned Played On
    A list of songs once banned by the BBC including Lola by the Kinks, a number two hit in 1970, Jackie by Scott Walker from 1967 and 1981's We Don't Need this Facist Groove Thang by Heaven 17.

A Hard Day's Night
    Musical comedy starring the Beatles, John , Paul, George and Ringo set off for London where they are due to take part in a TV show. But the antics of paul's grandfather throw the performance into jeopardy.
    Barry

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    .......and besides, up until just now, it was only Tim & me who gave a shit!
    I occasionally paid attention, I just didn't post, honest guv!
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Could be that its only me an' Chris who are proper muso's loike . . . haha

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

On BBC4 tonight:

7.30 Symphony Revolution and Rebirth
    Simon Russel Beale charts how classical music evolved during the 20th century, exploring the importance of Shostakovich's symphonies in the Soviet Union, and how composers such as Charles Ives and Aaron Copland left their mark on American music.

8.30 Sounds of the Eighties
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, including the Teardrop Explodes, Robert Wyatt, Aztec Camera, Billy Bragg, the Pogues and the Style Council.

9.00 The Joy of the Guitar Riff
    Exploring how the guitar riff has shaped the past 60 years ofpopular music, including a look at how it became the foundation on which rock 'n' roll was built. With contributions from Brian May, Dave Davies, Hank marvin, Joan Jet, Nile Rogers, Tony Iommi, Robert Frip and Johnny Marr.

10.00 Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC
    A compilation of clips and performances featuring some of the best guitar stars of the recent decades, including Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AC/DC, the Smiths, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Pixies and the Stone Roses.

11.00 Sound City
    Music documentary which charts the story of Sound City Studios in California and its role in rock 'n' roll history, from the late 1960s through to the facility's closure in 2011. Featuring contributions from Tom Petty and Neil Young.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast