+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Coming Soon to a TV Near You

I'm ChrisB.

Thread title now altered to be non specific about time and channel.

I'm ChrisB.

.......which means I can post this now instead of on Friday!

Friday 28th March:

7:30pm
    Darcey Bussell Dances Hollywood
    The former Royal Ballet star steps into the shoes of her Hollywood heroes to celebrate the legacy of classic dance musicals, reinterpreting four of her favourite routines with renowned choreographer Kim Gavin, and revealing the secrets behind their enduring appeal. First, she tackles the challenge of impersonating Fred Astaire in Puttin' on the Ritz, which was a highlight of Blue Skies, before playing Ginger Rogers in a rendition of Cheek to Cheek from Top Hat. These are followed by numbers from Singin' in the Rain and The Band Wagon. Darcey also talks to conductor John Wilson, who has reconstructed the original scores from these films

9:00pm
    Robert Plant By Myself
    The singer discusses his varied life and musical career, including his upbringing in the West Midlands town of Stourbridge, his rise to stardom as the singer of highly influential rock band Led Zeppelin and his solo work with the Honeydrippers. The programme also reflects on his recent collaborations with country singer Alison Krauss, with whom he made the Grammy-winning album Raising Sand, and his reunion with virtuoso guitarist Jimmy Page

10:00pm
    The Genius of Bert Jansch: Folk, Blues & Beyond
    A celebration of the Scottish guitarist and songwriter and founding member of the band Pentangle, who died in 2011. Interviews and rare archive footage weave together performances from a multi-artist concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London. With contributions by Ralph McTell, Robert Plant, Donovan, Bernard Butler, Martin Carthy, Martin Simpson, Lisa Knapp and members of Pentangle

11:30pm
    Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Despite several break-ups over the years, the band are currently together and bringing their world tour to Britain. Here, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that have characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music

12:30am
    BBC4 Sessions: Bert Jansch
    A 2003 concert by the Scottish guitarist and songwriter, who died earlier this month. Guests Johnny Marr, Bernard Butler, Ralph McTell and former Pentangle bandmate Jacqui McShee join Jansch on stage at LSO St Luke's in London to perform songs from throughout his career, including Blackwaterside, Riverbank and Crimson Moon, as well as tunes penned by Davy Graham and Jackson C Frank

1:30am
    Robert Plant By Myself
    As above repeated

2:30am
    The Genius of Bert Jansch: Folk, Blues & Beyond
    As above repeated

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Right now I'm thinking I wish I had a TV licence, as that's some schedule there - have to catch it on the iPlayer later
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ChrisB.

Tomorrow night - Friday 11th April:

Concerto at the BBC Proms - Season 1 Episode 1: Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
    Another chance to hear classical music from the BBC Proms, beginning with Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor performed at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005. Soloist Janine Jansen takes to the stage along with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Roger Norrington

8:00pm
    Sir Colin Davis: In His Own Words
    An interview with conductor Colin Davis, who shot to fame in the 1960s as Malcolm Sargent's successor at The Proms. Filmed shortly before his death in April 2013, he talks to John Bridcut about his life, beliefs and musical passions

Arena Amy Winehouse - The Day She Came to Dingle
    The story of the singer-songwriter's acoustic performance on Irish TV show Other Voices, filmed at St James's Church in the remote, south-western town of Dingle in 2006. Featuring interviews with some of the people she met on that day, including taxi driver Paddy Kennedy, her bass player Dale Davis and the Rev Mairt Hanley of the Other Voices church

10:00pm
    Britpop at the BBC
    A look at the vibrant form of indie music known as Britpop, which 20 years ago stamped its presence onto the UK cultural scene and led to the notion of 'Cool Britannia', as a new wave of bands re-evaluated what it meant to be British. The movement was dominated by the battle between its biggest-selling exponents, Blur and Oasis, who in August 1995 did battle in a memorable bid for the number one spot. The programme also features the bands Elastica, Sleeper, Suede and Menswear

11:00pm
    Blur at Glastonbury
    Highlights of the 2009 performance on the Pyramid Stage, which brought the festival to an end and included many of the group's most popular songs to thrill the Worthy Farm crowd. Actor Phil Daniels, who helped to popularise the band's quintessential Britpop hit, Parklife, makes a guest appearance on stage

12:00am
    It's Slade
    Documentary first shown in 1999 about the band. During their career, the group, led by Noddy Holder, went from skinheads to mirror-hatted, platform shoe-wearing glam rockers, before finally re-emerging as hard rock heroes. Their six number-one singles in the 1970s included Cum on Feel the Noize, Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Merry Xmas Everybody, and they also sold more than 50 million records worldwide. Featuring contributions by band members Holder, Dave Hill, Jim Lea and Don Powell, as well as fans and friends such as Noel Gallagher, Ozzy Osbourne and Suzi Quatro. Narrated by Mark Radcliffe

12:50am
    Amy Winehouse - The Day She Came to Dingle
    As above repeated

1:50am
    Britpop at the BBC
    As above repeated

2:50am
    Blur at Glastonbury
    As above repeated

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Tomorrow night - Friday 11th April:
    Arena Amy Winehouse - The Day She Came to Dingle
    The story of the singer-songwriter's acoustic performance on Irish TV show Other Voices, filmed at St James's Church in the remote, south-western town of Dingle in 2006. Featuring interviews with some of the people she met on that day, including taxi driver Paddy Kennedy, her bass player Dale Davis and the Rev Mairt Hanley of the Other Voices church
    If anyone has not seen this before, I can highly recommend it.

Good shout Chris
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ChrisB.

BBC4 tomorrow night (Friday).....

BBC Young Musician 2014 - Season 1 Episode 8: The Jazz Final
    The inaugural contest to determine the year's most talented young jazz musician, from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff. The five teenage finalists include three saxophonists, a trumpet player and double bassist, performing alongside the Gwilym Simcock trio and judged by Django Bates, Trish Clowes, Julian Joseph and Jason Yarde. Presented by alto saxophonist and rapper Soweto Kinch and actress Josie D'Arby

Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark
    A look into the private journals of the music legend, who overcame a period of racial segregation and prejudice in America to become one of the greatest jazz icons of all time. He was the only major black television star in Hollywood during his heyday - but, behind closed doors, those around him were thinking of a way to package him as a quasi white. A candid account of what really happened in and around his 'fairytale' life is taken from his own written thoughts, interviews with his widow, Maria, and contributions from other family members and fellow musicians

10:30pm
    Jazz Divas Gold
    A selection of archive performances by acclaimed female jazz artists from shows including Not So Much a Programme - More a Way of Life, Morecambe and Wise, Parkinson and Show of the Week. Featuring Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Blossom Dearie, Nina Simone, Cleo Laine, Marion Montgomery, Betty Carter, Sarah Vaughan, Eartha Kitt and Amy Winehouse

11:30pm
    Queens of Jazz: The Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas
    Celebrating the achievements of six female jazz singers of the 20th century - Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Sarah Vaughan, Nina Simone and Annie Ross. The film examines how these artists managed to triumph against the odds at a turbulent time in America's social history. With contributions from singers including Annie Ross, Lisa Stansfield, Melody Gardot and Gregory Porter and critics such as Garry Giddins, Dave Gelly and Alvin Hall

12:30am
    Jazz Horns Gold
    A selection of archive performances by jazz artists from shows including Jazz 625, The Late Show, Later - with Jools Holland and Crackerjack. Featuring Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Wynton Marsalis, Acker Bilk, John Dankworth, Courtney Pine, John Surman and Andy Hamilton. Plus, the sounds of jazz disciples of the 21st century such as Joshua Redman and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

1:30am
    Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark (again)

3:00am
    Queens of Jazz: The Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas (again)

Then on Saturday night:

7:00pm
    Jazz Legends in Their Own Words
    A journey into the BBC archives, unearthing performances and candid interviews from the golden age of jazz. Featuring some of the greatest names in American music, from Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Count Basie to Oscar Peterson, Dizzy Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald

8:00pm
    Jazz 625 at the BBC
    Archive material from the show originally broadcast in the 1960s, with performances by Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Dizzy Gillespie and the Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley Sextet. Plus, rarely seen sessions featuring the likes of Wes Montgomery, Marian McPartland, Chris Barber's Jazz Band and Willie 'The Lion' Smith

10:30pm
    History of the Eagles (Season 1 Episode 1)
    Two-part documentary exploring the evolution and enduring popularity of the American rock band, beginning by charting the group's formation and rise to fame in the 1970s through to its break-up in 1980. Featuring rare archive material, concert footage, home movies and interviews with members past and present including Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner and Don Felder. Plus, contributions by Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and Kenny Rogers
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 22-05-2014 at 19:33.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Call me thick, but why would that help - have we to play a wee game and guess?

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo

Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark
    A look into the private journals of the music legend, who overcame a period of racial segregation and prejudice in America to become one of the greatest jazz icons of all time. He was the only major black television star in Hollywood during his heyday - but, behind closed doors, those around him were thinking of a way to package him as a quasi white. A candid account of what really happened in and around his 'fairytale' life is taken from his own written thoughts, interviews with his widow, Maria, and contributions from other family members and fellow musicians
    Is it on BBC4?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Doh!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... Indeed. I still don't get the point of this, though:

Why be non-specific, and not just state the channel and time of the programme, clearly, (making it obvious for folk) and be done with it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Well............originally the title of the thread was 'On BBC4 Tonight'.
    This was because there is always some music stuff on a Friday night on BBC4.
    But it became apparent that other channels show stuff about music too and if they wanted to let people know about it then members were starting new threads. But those threads became useless after the event.
    So, being (on that particular day) a rather clever and talented moderator, I decided to change the title to allow people to use it more flexibly. However, as I've been doing it so long the other way, I forget that I changed it. I said I was clever, not Mr Memory!

.......and besides, up until just now, it was only Tim & me who gave a shit!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast