+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Cartridge recommendations

I'm Paul.

The A-70 has both MC & MM settings

Would like to go with new item as with used I could be just buying something near to or past its end of life without the seller even knowing how short it's life might be.

Cartridges are like women, best un used

Think I will be pulling the plug on the 110, all the online reviews I have seen all rate it highly.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Grant.

Its a decent cart for the money, although they have gone up in price. I enjoyed mine for the time I had it. Looks good on too. Good luck
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

The best MM I owned was an Acutex 410e. They're on eBay for £50 for two. TWO !! NOS. Just buy them and be amazed at how good they are.

I've owned, Goldring 2100/2200 at95e, Shure VIII, Shure 75, AT110e,

None were as good as the Acutex. It took a ZYX r50 Bloom to beat it. Yes, I know, you think I must be mad but it's true.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Hi all

Looking to replace my aging Ortofon ME15 Super 1 Moving Iron cartridge

I was thinking of getting one of the Audio Technica AT-440MLB cartridges which I can get new for around £140

Anyone got any advice on how those two compare or any recomendations for any other cartridges that would improve on the ME15 for similar money to the 440

It's to be used in my Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with stock TP-16 arm and TP-60 headshell.

Thanks for any input

Paul

The TP-16/TP60 at 17.6 is a medium to high mass combination so I would avoid high compliance cartridges (you can check compliance specs on vinyl engine).

In many cases (eg with Rega RB25) it would be differnet advice but I think the DL-103 has a good chance of working well, especially if you can add a bit of extra weight to the headshell without losing the abiility to balance things out with the counterweight. Other than that the Ortofon 2M series is medium compliance so should do fine. The Acutex mentioned is in the ballpark, DL-110 is on the highish compliance side for this arm I would have thought but could well still work.

I'm Phil.

Just last week moved to a 2M blue from 2M red...very happy with it and can recommend it.

I'm Paul.

Hi all

Well the DL110 arrived, tried it first with the supplied weight but the arm counter weight need to go almost as far back as it could before it would balance so took the weight out and the arm weight is now almost in the same place as it is with the Ortofon.

Only played a few records but so far well impressed, starting to hear things the Ortofon didn't reveal.

Thanks for all the help

Hope SWMBO doesn't find out it cost more than I paid for the TD-160 including the Ortofon ��

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Paul.

Compliance is showing as 16.5 for the arm and headshell and the cartridge has a massive of 4.8g

What does that mean and how do I use that figure when selecting a cartridge

I am a bit new to this level of hifi so learning all the time

Thanks for the replies

Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12