+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Addvice on dealing with Peak Signals.

RothwellAudio Guest

It's possible that nothing is actually being overloaded. The peak LEDs may be set to trigger at the point where the incoming signal reaches 2V RMS, but there may still be some headroom as a margin of error. The Beresford manual says "turn down the level of the signal coming into the CAPELLA inputs where that is practically possible if the Peak Detector LEDs are constantly ON".
    "Constantly" suggests to me that there will be at least some headroom beyond the point at which the LEDs illuminate.

I'm Jo.

Yes, Charlie - definitely a deliberate practice given the top quality studios the CDs I've noticed peaking on [Deutsche Grammophon, Decca, &c.] DG are particularly inclined to present bright compressed-sounding recordings.

I'm Jo.

Thanks, Chris. Computer-stored music is not so much of a problem as I can control the level of signal reaching the DAC before it is passed on the the amplifier, though your suggestion sounds a bit more 'pro' than just backing off the master volume a touch.

I'm Jo.

Good point, Andrew. Having gone back to the Capella manual, it does seem as if small and infrequent peaks may not be much of a concern. None of the peaks I've noticed being indicated were anything more than a brief flicker. Just thought I'd raise the subject to be sure I wasn't going to damage my gear.

I'm Jo.

Sell one, did you say? Oh dear.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12