+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Addvice on dealing with Peak Signals.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Jo.

Default Addvice on dealing with Peak Signals.

Since I bought a headphone amplifier with the capacity to detect and indicate peak levels I've notice a fair few of my CDs [and computer stored copies of the same] have overloads at certain points.

This appears to be a result of the recording process rather than something added by my equipment.

The peaks are not sustained, only transient flickers. While I can avoid peaking by backing off the master volume on the computer before it enters the DAC & then the HA, or again by passing the signal through a DAC with the capacity to reduce the level of output before the signal reaches the HA, it is not convenient for me to do so in my secondary bedside setup. There I use a CD player into a Beresford Caiman 2 into the HA.

My question is: ought I to be concerned about these brief peaks or are they unimportant because they are not sustained? I obviously don't want to degrade my headphones [or my hearing for that mater].

I thought a solution would be to buy a CD player with a variable digital out but would be happy to avoid the extra expense.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Landloper; 25-02-2017 at 11:23.

+ Reply to Thread