+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbranded Chinese Firebottle Valve amp.

I'm Gary.

This did sound very, very good during my brief listening with Oliver at Alan's.

The burglary story seems plausible, I saw a red car following Oliver home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi all,

I recently felt a need to try a valve amp. My Sony setup is amazing but an itch needed scratching. Luckily, Alan had just converted this Chinese kit build into a different beast.

Now, I'm not going to go I to specific details because I don't know them.

Alan kindly offered to let me take his creation home (I'm going to name it the Firebottle27 after my favourite thing on the Chinese menu)

So after listening to it for a while through Alan's Quad speakers, I took it home.

Here it is perched precariously on a speaker.

FISUAL Hollywood speaker cables, Klotz IC and Sony ES CDP as the source. All playing through the Mission 710 speakers.

First impressions:

SHIT, ID BETTER TURN IT DOWN !!!

�� This class A power is sweet. Half way on the volume and the room is vibrating with deep bass. Im Listening to Sarah Jarosz and the double bass is lower than a snake's belly. I know the speaker's are capable of producing superb bottom end but the Sony hasn't gone this far down.

The vocals are so smooth and sweet ! The hardness I'd experienced with the CDP and Amp just isn't there. It's completely tuneful and natural. The Missions are really responding to every note no matter how subtle. Im temporarily distracted by a noise to my left, I then realise it's an instrument, possibly a banjo that I hadn't heard before ??? No I'm annoyed. I trust the Sony amp to be as good as I think it is but it didn't reveal this to me ???!! How is this £350 amp doing this ???

I swap CDs to Kenny Ball. The Sony loves this CD BUT it can be hard on the ears at high volume.

I test it at 3/4 volume.

Straight away I notice the presentation is different. Hmm �� but all the instruments are there, just not as prominent as usual. I swap the track a few times and listen to familiar tracks and sure enough everything is there just more subtle. Now I'm starting to notice the Reed in the wind instruments and how the drums are popping and I realise I am really enjoying the CD. And again No hardness. Hmmm. Let's put some guitars through it

Ocean colour scene - Marching already.

Now this CD is, IMO, one of the finest High Quality recordings on CD. It was very well produced. So I dive in to a few of my favourite tracks

Drums √
    Vocals √
    Guitar √
    Bass √

I'm blown away by how easy this is to listen too. I won't lie, I prefer the OCS CD through the Sony on first impression as there is a lot of Bass on that album and at times through the F27 I was slightly distracted by it but only on a couple of tracks. The album is Bass heavy in the mix so it's not the F27s fault but my god it sounded great.

Melodic, clean, effortless, sweet class A power. The F27 has good grip on the notes too. Treble or bass is punchy and tight but never overbearing. I particularly liked how the Vocals sound and how clean everything was. Soundstage was enormous and the channel separation was perfect. I could follow notes panning left to right like I could see them.

This thing is way beyond Good. It's exceptional and very sexy in the dark

I (jokingly) told my wife id bought it expecting a bollocking. Instead she said "I can see why"

Outstanding.

PS, Alan, I've been burgled and out of everything they only took your Amp !!!! ��

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    This did sound very, very good during my brief listening with Oliver at Alan's.

The burglary story seems plausible, I saw a red car following Oliver home.
    😂😂😂

I'm Martin.

I did say that the 'hard' sound you were getting was nothing to do with the CD player. No-one ever listens to me
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I did say that the 'hard' sound you were getting was nothing to do with the CD player. No-one ever listens to me
    Lmao, you did and I did listen. That was part of the reason I wanted to try a valve amp. You were right.

I also knew the "overly bright speakers" weren't to blame either lol

I'm Martin.

I don't think it is so much to do with it being valves as just upping the quality of the amplification. Sony ES amps are okay but they are getting a bit over-rated IMO.

People like a safe bet brand-wise even if it isn't the best they could do for the money. Look at how that Avondale amp lingered in the classifieds for so long despite the price being a giveaway for the sound quality.

Or the 'F27's ugly sister, the FB 'Dulci', which no-one seems to want even for just £200 when quality-wise you could comfortably stick a zero on that:

Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Fuckin' ell, that is one FUGLY looking amp - a veritable rotting ring-piece of a roaster, not even a mother could love!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm nigel.

geek alert.....F27 is not a fighter, its a Fokker...short haul passenger turboprop aircraft.

now yer MIG27... that's a fighter..of the ground attack variety. based on the MIG23

do I win 5 pounds??

NIGE.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Fuckin' ell, that is one FUGLY looking amp - a veritable rotting ring-piece of a roaster, not even a mother could love!

Marco.
    😂😂😂

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    It sounds absolutely beautiful though. Reckon it would work really well with your Lockwoods in your room. Have you tried a single ended class A with them? You could always put a bag over her...sure you've done that before.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nope, not tried an SET amp with the Lockies... No reason why it wouldn't work. Like you say, I could always double-bag it, then roll it in flour if I need to find its 'wet patch'...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast