+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB CABLE What's the score?

I'm Adam.

Default USB CABLE What's the score?

USB CABLE What's the score?
    can anyone recommend a sure fire winner for connecting a DAC to USB/SPDIF converter?
    The more I read about USB cables the more i get a head spin.. It really seems the HIFI world is split between a £10 cable and a £1000 cable
    Any thoughts would be great, as usual if the product is a sure winner and proven to deliver the goods SQ wise, then money spent isn't a great issue
    but lobbing good money at dubious cables is not just viable or desirable!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Neil.

Yep, a sure fire way is to ensure that your cable is properly certified. For example, look at the Amazon Basics cables, under a tenner.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

I take it your looking for a coaxial 75 ohm cable?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Yes Grant
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I take it your looking for a coaxial 75 ohm cable?

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I can thoroughly recommend this cable https://markgrant.co.uk/digital-cabl...gth-1_5_metres , and use one myself.
    It conforms to specification, and simply does what it says on the tin.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

got a few around in my spare cable box. will have a look tomorrow if you want
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Thanks chaps, very good of you, Grant thanks for the offer,
    I suppose the purpose of the op was to see if
    There has been a 'bake off' of USB cables and to see really
    If one has to spend £20 or £200 and what, if any, giant killers out there.
    I have a couple of cables I use, 1 a custom home brew, and another is a Supra USB
    I can't tell a lot between them TBH..
    I have got myself a nice digital set up now with upgraded PSUs and a lovely DAC
    And I want to maximise the SQ. I presume the cable such as a Supra is a weak link in the chain?

I'm Grant.

if its usb cables then again thats different to 70 ohm coax. Gazjam and Tony, plus Brian of the Scottish Mafia did some A,B,C's with digital cables.(I was at some of them) pm Gaz and ask him. he knows his stuff re dig cables.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I can thoroughly recommend this cable https://markgrant.co.uk/digital-cabl...gth-1_5_metres , and use one myself.
    It conforms to specification, and simply does what it says on the tin.
    Probably the best RCA terminated cable you can get, for a very reasonable outlay. It ought to be remembered that it is impossible for any RCA phono connection to have a characteristic impedance of 75 Ohm, but the crimped Canare designs go a long way to minimise the impedance mismatch.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Sorry grant not coax I should read the question first before answering!!
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if its usb cables then again thats different to 70 ohm coax. Gazjam and Tony, plus Brian of the Scottish Mafia did some A,B,C's with digital cables.(I was at some of them) pm Gaz and ask him. he knows his stuff re dig cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast