+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Examples of an apparent downgrade being an upgrade...?

I'm Richard.

Default Examples of an apparent downgrade being an upgrade...?

A 'downgrade' here being defined as swapping one or two devices for an older and/or cheaper unit(s) and hearing an improvement in SQ (not just a change)

I've got, besides other things, a Sugden A21a amp and Living Voice Speakers ("a match made in Heaven"). I've temporarily ditched the Sugden and got a Tisbury pre-amp and Quad 306 (modified by DADA/RedHill). I view this as an upgrade as I think the definition/soundstage etc etc etc is better. Quad 99 is in the pipeline as I like the Quad sound (at present RedHillAudio is 'breathing' over it as I speak).

Do others have the experience - I hesitate to say 'less-is-more' - of getting older and/or cheaper items actually improving their present systems?

(Thanks BTW to a forum member advising the 306 - I owe you a drink!)

BW

Usual disclaimers!
    Last edited by Bonky; 23-02-2017 at 22:44. Reason: Usual disclaimers!

I'm Ian.

I changed ml LP12/Ittok for a Toshiba SR-370/SME3009S2, cost around a third as much as the Linn, put my Ortofon 2m Black on it and definitely heard a much more listenable result. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm gone.

Oh, easy.

My Philips Black Tulip 270 pre-amp and 390 power amps are the best sounding that I have heard - cost me £50 and £140 resp, and I have owned many multi-£k components.
    Same story for my £75 Xiang Sheng DAC-01A.

I'm Geoff.

We are conditioned to think that there is a (largely) linear relationship between price and performance. Indeed, many companies within the hifi industry spend huge sums of money in marketing to drive home this notion. It is not true. First of all, some companies benefit from the halo effect conferred by their elite products. At one point, I am sure that Linn and Naim could have marketed a toilet brush for £99 if it carried their respective logos and some psychobabble marketing blurb about innovative design, fancy materials, or technology borrowed from Nasa or Formula 1! Bottom line is that not all high end products are as great as we are led to believe, and likewise, not all budget products produced by upmarket companies benefit from their higher level products.

Yes, it is possible for some products to sound better than the higher priced components they replace. This may be the result of superior performance but it could be that they just mesh better with other parts of the system. This really drives home the importance of "listening". Make no assumptions. Listen for yourself. Your ears are the only tools you need to judge!

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Yup, Ive downgraded the cost of my system but think it deffo sounds better for it. I might be the only one who thinks it of course, but I'm the one that counts. Trouble is I have lots of spare gear again
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    We are conditioned to think that there is a (largely) linear relationship between price and performance. Indeed, many companies within the hifi industry spend huge sums of money in marketing to drive home this notion. It is not true.

Yes, it is possible for some products to sound better than the higher priced components they replace. This may be the result of superior performance but it could be that they just mesh better with other parts of the system. This really drives home the importance of "listening". Make no assumptions. Listen for yourself. Your ears are the only tools you need to judge!

Geoff
    I agree with your words here. Also while there is the thing about price to performance, I believe another little thing happens with "downgrades"-those cheaper items that do replace more expensive ones, and all of a sudden, wow, best thing since sliced bread. Everyone, well, most, love a world beater, the giant slayer, the seemingly so cheap item that absolutely destroys all that went before it. The underdog thing. Many things come into play here with both sides, tricks of the mind, the wallet, the whatever. We can lead ourselves at times to believe so many things, even if we really don't want to believe.

Ultimately, time to really listen is the key. Some things take longer than others but worth the effort in the long run.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Neil.

Putting a pair of £200 Royd Sapphires in front of a £10k system really opened my eyes. Yeah my Amphion Argon3s were more transparent, flatter response, more power handling, more detailed etc., but the Sapphires, and then the Sorcerers that I got for £350 were just more musical and involving. Eventually I moved up to Royd RR3s, which I guess wouldn't be considered as a downgrade to the Amphions, but it put me on a path & have ended up with a system I just don't want to change.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm paul.

I sold my PX25 monos for £1000 and bought a Sony STR6055 receiver for £69, bass is better so an improvement in that sense, tbh I doubt it's better than the PX25 in the midrange but not being able to swap them I've forgotten about any differences and enjoying my budget amp. Also using the inbuilt phono stage and not missing my stand alone stages, one sold and the Haden Boardman stage soon to be put up for sale.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Adam.

The £20 delivered from Amazon Jays V-Jays headphones are great - sometimes I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD650s and sometimes I don't - nice to have the choice though.
    Adam.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    The £20 delivered from Amazon Jays V-Jays headphones are great - sometimes I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD650s and sometimes I don't - nice to have the choice though.
    Yup they're absolute gems the V-Jays.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast