+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Examples of an apparent downgrade being an upgrade...?

I'm Russell.

Most of the CV's I see here in the states new are more like PA speakers than house speakers, with black textured finishes and metal grills. And their trademark red foam surrounds. No woodgrain cabinets, furniture looking pieces, or small speakers to speak of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Brook.

Back end of last year I needed to raise some cash urgently so sold my much loved Triode Corp. 845 SET & almost shed a tear when collected, but the replacement, a much modified Art Audio Quintet sounded a better match for the rest of my kit, indeed many who have heard both say the same, even when partnered by different components.
    Cost less than half too!

I'm Alastair.

I got rid of various VDH speaker cables and interconnects and replaced them with Van Damme cables for a fraction of the price. Also replaced a pair of Linn LK140s with 4 Temple Audio Monoblocks. Both resulted in big improvements and left me with cash to spare.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Simon.

My upgrades have almost always seen improvements except a few cable changes but I think that's more matching. I Started with £1k tannoy dc6tse speakers then went to £2400 pmc 20-23, now to £3k pmc 25-23 (with part ex) and all an improvement. So to with cyrus amps starting with a 6dac and now having signature kit.

One big improvement was going from naim naca5 speaker wire at £25/m which audio t in Brighton sold me which I didn't like, and going to chord silver screen at £6.20/m. The chord was so much more balanced, musical, hearing layers of music and dynamics better too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123