+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cartridge choice - not sure what to do - advice please!

I'm Dave.

Of course, that's my carpet !!! I don't remember you taking that pic with arm in place, it must have been whilst I was making the tenth cup of tea..

By the way, just for you I've bought a pillar drill from E-Bay. Now we can drill that hole...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

Thing is Marco, that many of these dear old recordings were lovingly digitised with the minimum of messing around and the best of them sound stunning on CD IMO.
    No doubt; but not as good as the recordings were on the format on which they were originally released (i.e vinyl)!

The fact is, one cannot obtain greater fidelity to the original than is offered by the original itself...

Therefore, if you'll forgive me, I'll keep my treasured original (almost mint) 1950s recordings on Capitol well away from being "lovingly digitised" - or more accurately, bastardised!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You're wrong, but since I have no way of proving it I'll beg to differ
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Lol - well I don't think I am, so we'll just have to leave it there, me old mucker...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Sorry, Dave, I missed this:

Those Nagaoka cartridges are hellishly expensive for the upper models. Did you just buy one blind Marco, or did you get a dem of one or read a decent review of the current range?
    They're not hellishly expensive relative to the sound quality they offer - quite the opposite! The MP-150 is the best modern MM cartridge I've heard, bar none, and better in some ways than MCs up to the £300 mark.

A friend has one, so I've listened to it in my system. I've also heard the 110, as I ran one in for Dave K and used it for quite a while until he got hold of his Techy. I've not heard the top models, but based on what the 150 is capable of, I can just imagine how good they are....

Trust me, these are true 'giant-killer' designs!

Trouble is, people are obsessed with the boring 'usual suspects' such as Goldring and Ortofon....

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I find the Goldrings hellishly expensive these days, but they are made in the UK still I think and this may have a bearing on the final prices... there's also a hungry middle man between maker and dealer..

I love the Ortofon MM's of old and expect the current ones are at least as good. My M20FL Super is quite a performer still, 30 years on..... Ortofon really do want their pound of flesh these days for almost all their products IMO.

I'd like to hear what the top Nagaoka's do, but I never cared overmuch for the MP11, boron or otherwise, although I do have an MP15 in good order still.

One to try one day.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

If you want a cartridge with good bass performance, mid range to die for with a detailed but not bright top end, low surface noise and mates well with most arms.

I have one and it absolutely trounced my Denon DL-110, and Goldring 1012GX.

It's the smoothest most detailed cart I have had.

Benz Micro Ace

It's cheaper than the Benz Glider but very similar in sound.

Doesn't have any issues with suspension problems like some of the Dynavector's.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Benz-Ace...2&category=364
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234