+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on vibration damping material for a power amp cover

I'm Martin.

Should be able to get the toroid to shut up with my DC blocker and all the helpful hints off here. It's already 20% quieter and I haven't had the top off to play about yet.

Glad I asked, cheers all

Lovely helpful forum.
    We are the love we leave behind.

RothwellAudio Guest

A picture of the amp would be a big help. For example, where are the vent holes (if any)?
    Anyway, it's possible that the movement of the metal top plate isn't in itself a problem - it could be that the top plate is "chattering" where it comes into contact with the sides. Sometimes just adjusting the tightness of screws can tune it out.
    If it was mine I would look at all other alternatives before applying sticky stuff.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    A picture of the amp would be a big help. For example, where are the vent holes (if any)?
    Anyway, it's possible that the movement of the metal top plate isn't in itself a problem - it could be that the top plate is "chattering" where it comes into contact with the sides. Sometimes just adjusting the tightness of screws can tune it out.
    If it was mine I would look at all other alternatives before applying sticky stuff.
    It's an Advance Acoustic MAA-406, I'm afraid I still can't manage to post pictures but here's a link to google images https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ad...w=1366&bih=696 if that helps, I also didn't get the discs for the bottom of the feet which have a sorbothane pad which I suppose doesn't help, so thats another avenue I have to explore.
    i have tried different tension on the screws and it doesn't seem to make an audible difference, it just seems that the top cover amplifies the hum, if I hold it I can feel a very slight vibration through the cover, it is a cheap thin piece of steel, once removed it doesn't even hold its shape properly.
    Last edited by Hudz; 23-02-2017 at 14:51.

RothwellAudio Guest

Are these two different models?
    http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/...pli%202013.jpg

http://audiophillness.com/wp-content...ps4kklkhrn.jpg

Anyway, I would try to put something compliant in between the top panel and whatever it comes into contact with. You can buy sheets of felt from Hobbycraft for about 50p which might stop one panel chattering against the other.

An alternative approach would be to consider this: is the vibration caused by the mains transformer vibrating, or is the magnetic field from the mains transformer inducing eddy currents directly into the top plate? If it is the former, it might be possible to isolate the mains transformer from the metalwork by sitting it on rubber. They usually have a rubber washer anyway, but examining it closely to see if it can be isolated better by prove fruitful.

I'm Martin.

Well blow me it worked, this is how mine looks but this is a stock photo
    Last edited by Hudz; 23-02-2017 at 15:37.

I'm Geoff.

Nice looking piece of kit!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Thanks for that Robert, the transformer is sitting on a round disc of rubber with another on top before the steel washer, so thats already done but it does sit on a steel tripod, I presume to keep the large bottom nut from coming into contact with the baseplate so maybe this could also be a good place to introduce something like your felt idea?

Can't really fit anything like sheet material on top of the toroid without obscuring the top vent, so maybe I'll try Geoffs Sorbothane idea and use an equipment foot if I can find them.
    Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Are these two different models?
    http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/...pli%202013.jpg

http://audiophillness.com/wp-content...ps4kklkhrn.jpg

Anyway, I would try to put something compliant in between the top panel and whatever it comes into contact with. You can buy sheets of felt from Hobbycraft for about 50p which might stop one panel chattering against the other.

An alternative approach would be to consider this: is the vibration caused by the mains transformer vibrating, or is the magnetic field from the mains transformer inducing eddy currents directly into the top plate? If it is the former, it might be possible to isolate the mains transformer from the metalwork by sitting it on rubber. They usually have a rubber washer anyway, but examining it closely to see if it can be isolated better by prove fruitful.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice looking piece of kit!
    Looks mint on a night lovely sounding piece of kit as well, very dynamic.

Any ideas what I can use to replace the missing discs for the feet?
    This is what mine looks like

I'm Kevin.

Feet that you use under spikes would seem to be perfect. Are they called spike cups?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Feet that you use under spikes would seem to be perfect. Are they called spike cups?
    Excellent idea, they would look the part as well, nice one Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast