+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on vibration damping material for a power amp cover

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Yeah, Colin Wonfor had my amp in for a minor repair and removed the Dynamat with some nasty chemical and it took him 3 hours and much gnashing of teeth and sweat no doubt. I'm just glad it wasn't me who fitted it, but I know who did �� ��
    Name and shame game? Probably best not, presume they're a member here.

Had a quick go at the stuff on my CDP, no chance of removing that quickly. Nasty stuff once heated.
    We are the love we leave behind.

I'm Geoff.

If its damping you want, why not make up a couple of bean bags with silica gel crystals. Quite massy and heat resistant. You dry out the crystals in the oven or microwave.

Geoff

I'm Brian.

Have you tried sitting something heavy on top of the unit to see if that helps Martin ?

The other way would be to try dampening the casing underneath .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If its damping you want, why not make up a couple of bean bags with silica gel crystals. Quite massy and heat resistant. You dry out the crystals in the oven or microwave.

Geoff
    Another excellent idea, thank you but I'm gonna try the sound coat stuff Robert recommended, if thats not enough I will try yours as well.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Have you tried sitting something heavy on top of the unit to see if that helps Martin ?

It'll have to be inside the casing as I've got very little room above it as it's in a unit rather than an adjustable rack and it's a bit of a beastie size wise.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post

Yeah bags od silica sand on top. You get them for speakers, but can make em up yourself. You can buy the leather gem type bags and fill them with play sand or ball bearings. Can look really cool.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I had a DAC with a mains transformer that was causing a buzz through the top panel. I inserted a small pad of Sorbothane between the top of the transformer and underside of the top panel to quieten things. It worked!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

A small slate placemat on top.
    It will add mass and probably be thin enough to fit. Easy to remove and will leave no residue.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I had a DAC with a mains transformer that was causing a buzz through the top panel. I inserted a small pad of Sorbothane between the top of the transformer and underside of the top panel to quieten things. It worked!
    Another good idea, nice one Geoff, I've got some of them semi-circular equipment feet knocking about somewhere that should do

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    A small slate placemat on top.
    It will add mass and probably be thin enough to fit. Easy to remove and will leave no residue.
    Funny you should mention slate Kevin, I've just stuck a chopping board on top with some diy carpet underlay feet on top and it's helped quite a bit, great minds........eh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast