+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting news - Tannoy to start (re)making Arden, Cheviot and Eaton

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by m10 View Post
    In any case, I think the new Cheviot is phenomenal.
    You should hear the previous seventies version. And I'm not talking about the HPD equipped Cheviot. I'm referring to the Mk.II with the 3128 driver. It's superb!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You should hear the previous seventies version. And I'm not talking about the HPD equipped Cheviot. I'm referring to the Mk.II with the 3128 driver. It's superb!
    How can I tell an HPD from a Mk II? Is there a buyer's guide thread I could read?

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

I'm Geoff.

This is the Cheviot Mk.I (with 'tired' cone surrounds). The HPD315 driver frame is circular.

This is the HPD315 drive unit, with long Alnico magnet.

This is the Cheviot Mk.II, with 3128 driver that has a 'quartic' shaped chassis. (mine)

This is the 3128 driver, with shorter ceramic magnet. (mine)

The Cheviot Mk.II is pretty rare, having only been in production for a matter of months. To my ears it sounds better than the Cheviot Mk.I and the foregoing Chatsworth model with the 12" Monitor Gold drive unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

I came across this a while ago ... Tannoy's Paul Mills talking a bit about the history and development of the dual-concentric speaker in the first half of the video, before plugging the (then) new GR range, back in 2013. Apologies if it's been posted previously.

Last edited by petrat; 18-11-2017 at 10:01. Reason: clarification

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Peter. I've embedded the YouTube link for you

Does anyone know what the valve amp is shown in the bottom R/H corner of the picture at 0.49m in the video (with the Monitor Black), and what the turntable is on top of the R/H side of the table, at 0.53m?

When that show was launched, it must've been a really exciting time for hi-fi!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm tony.

Was across at mikie b the other week and heard his refurbed tannoys......I get it!!!!#

They really move some air, if thats them just running in heaven only knows what they will do when loosened up properly!!!!

Heh-heh... If you want music to have genuine scale and gravitas, Tony, you have to SHIFT SOME AIR!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Heh-heh... If you want music to have genuine scale and gravitas, Tony, you have to SHIFT SOME AIR!

Marco.
    Or ensure that there is minimal phase distortion, especially at the bass end.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Sure, but unless you've got big, high-efficiency drivers, shifting that air, inside large and inert enclosures, you won't experience palpable scale and gravitas, and that HUGE 'effortless' sound, which you *only* get when those ingredients are in the equation!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Peter. I've embedded the YouTube link for you

Does anyone know what the valve amp is shown in the bottom R/H corner of the picture at 0.49m in the video (with the Monitor Black), and what the turntable is on top of the R/H side of the table, at 0.53m?

When that show was launched, it must've been a really exciting time for hi-fi!

Marco.
    The amplifier is the Tannoy HF/100/20.L. A 20W amplifier based on the Williamson design. http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy64.htm

No idea about the TT and arm, but going by its appearance it doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast