+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting news - Tannoy to start (re)making Arden, Cheviot and Eaton

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed....which is why the highest 'SPPV route' is still buying a pair of vintage drivers, sorting the crossovers, and having them put into new cabinets

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

GRF -£16,988 see Hifipig.com, then perhaps just under £10k for The Ardens ....... er, not for me

I'm Paul.

I note too that crossovers seem to be a re-hash from some of the prestige series, much like the drive units. First and second order crossing (seldom a recipe for great sound unless acoustically matched in slope at crossover and only then if it can be summed to give a smooth response and good driver alignment...something I seldom see with this type of design). A simple step response test would provide some clues, so intrigued as to whether they'll publish such measurements. Would like to hear a pair of Ardens and Cheviots and they do look to be nicely made. Prestige GRFs definitely not for me.

I'm Neil.

Shame, guess the bean counters have decided to be greedy rather than increasing their audience, and instead expecting the Asian markets to lap them up, which could be a dangerous move.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

Well this could be fun ... attending Munich this year so will report in.

I'm Malcolm.

Stumbled across this thread as a result of my new Tannoy obsession. I heard the new Cheviots at the Harrogate show a couple of weeks ago and (despite the naughty inclusion of supertweeters and £39k Californian power amps!) I was utterly spellbound. Gotta have some Tannoys - some day, some how.

I have no experience of the old ones - my main Tannoy experience were my old M20s from the early 90s(?) which I remember were pretty nice conventional speakers. The Cheviots to my ears were the stars of the show, outperforming the (exquisite but expensive) fancy horns downstairs with a big, entertaining, full-fat presentation that was just so easy to listen to. The Reiner/Chicago Pictures at an Exhibition just sounded so bloody right, and Kraftwerk (my other current obsession) sounded amazing! I stayed for about half an hour and then went and dragged my friends in for another listen.

Working out if I can fit the Ardens in my room, and then working out where I find £6,400(?) is my current favourite day-dream.

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

I'm Bob.

I remember standing in the big Lasky in Tottenham Court Road in the 70's, I wasn't even shopping for speakers, someone else was having a demo and as soon as they switched to the Tannoy's I fell in love, I didn't even know they were Tannoy's it was just on hearing them from across the large room. I went across, listened whilst they went through a few sets of speakers and then turned the Tannoy's on again, and found out what they were (Tannoy Cheviots).

Luckily for me, some of the local Hi-Fi shops in south London near the Tannoy factory in Norwood had a half price sale as I can only guess to mark the 5oth year of Tannoy but also to prepare for the move to Coatbridge, so in the late summer of 76 I became a proud owner of the Cheviots and still own and love them.

And on the rumour there are a pair of second hand Cheviots for sale at a shop in N8 north London for £2,500 and he says on his website about the new ones and how these second hand ones work out at half price.

I'm Malcolm.

For me, I haven't heard anything since the B&W Nautilus 801 that has turned my head quite like the new Cheviot. Quite how they compare with the originals is for others to fill in - but I didn't hear any of the glare or brightness that some say the tulip waveguide models have. It may be that Tannoy have this sorted and mature now. They seemed to be everything I hoped for and more.

It's a good job I'm still in love with my 804s or I'd be snookered.

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by m10 View Post
    For me, I haven't heard anything since the B&W Nautilus 801 that has turned my head quite like the new Cheviot. Quite how they compare with the originals is for others to fill in - but I didn't hear any of the glare or brightness that some say the tulip waveguide models have. It may be that Tannoy have this sorted and mature now. They seemed to be everything I hoped for and more.

It's a good job I'm still in love with my 804s or I'd be snookered.
    That's news to me, if anything I'd describe the TW as polite and laid back-particularly when compared to the pepper-pot. If you run either waveguide type 'hot' they can start to grate. The TW in the Legacy is the same as its always been. In fact the crossover circuit in the new Arden is straight from the System 15 DMT 11-except the DMT used a(more expensive) air core inductor and lacked any energy adjustment.

The TW are identical.

Cheviot driver;

15DMT 3833;

I'm Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    That's news to me, if anything I'd describe the TW as polite and laid back-particularly when compared to the pepper-pot. If you run either waveguide type 'hot' they can start to grate. The TW in the Legacy is the same as its always been. In fact the crossover circuit in the new Arden is straight from the System 15 DMT 11-except the DMT used a(more expensive) air core inductor and lacked any energy adjustment.

The TW are identical.
    Half-remembered stuff I read somewhere (might have been on the Berkeley thread I was reading) - I stand corrected...

In any case, I think the new Cheviot is phenomenal.

EDIT: I seem to recall someone was comparing later TW drivers unfavourably against the old HPDs (?) - but, as I say - half-remembered, late night surfing!
    Last edited by m10; 06-11-2017 at 16:54. Reason: Additional info.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast