+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting news - Tannoy to start (re)making Arden, Cheviot and Eaton

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, lovely... Are they as cheap as that brand new? If so, I'd say that was a bargain. But as you say, they wouldn't work right in my room.

The point I was making though, which I'm sure you'll agree with is that for the £4k I've spent on them, the Lockies are ridiculously good!

Marco.
    They were £10K before Brexit, not sure now. I still think that is expensive, unless it is by comparison to some other high end speakers, at which point you realise JBL are basically giving them away.

15'' inch MG in Lockies for £4K is a stupid bargain, You'll get no argument from me there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I suspect that they'll possibly use the drivers re-developed for the GR range, where they reverted to AlNiCo, because they thought that's what people wanted and made claims about the "sound" of the magnet. I met with Tannoys Technical Director a few years ago at the Bristol Show and we had a long chat about the new range but also, I wanted to clear some of what I do with them, which they seemed happy to support. I mentioned the popularity of a few heritage models, and it was agreed that whilst the tulip wave-guide in principle has advantages over the pepperpot, people still associate the HPD and MG pepper pot design as the best, whether it is or not, so they were provided within the range (Kensington upwards).

The real reason for the incorrectness of the sound of some the TW drivers isn't due to the principles of the Tulip waveguide itself, but to the time alignment. The older MG and HPD drivers were perfectly time aligned and required no electrical compensation at crossover, plus used well designed notch filters to reduce horn resonance at around 3.3 KHz on the horns. As a result, the clarity, when cabs and crossovers are well sorted, can be amazing. The old drivers still have the edge here because whilst you can add a time delay in the crossover, the one adopted by Tannoy never really seemed to do the trick sonically and that region at crossover to 3.5KHz was always grating with me when listening to the K series, and later tulip waveguide drivers, including the first and second prestige series range of TW 'speakers. It also affected the GRF Memory and other large 80's and 90's designs.

To make this legacy series a success, I'd hope to see these issues properly addressed (and crossover designs) and a time aligned HF horn/magnet arrangement which means getting the correct length of horn/magnet and having the phase correction sorted without the time delay circuits. Consideration of horn resonance/notch filters would also be welcome, but in these days of marketing, profits and overheads, I wouldn't be surprised if crossovers were kept rather simple to cut manufacturing costs. To be fair, they may have considered all of this and designed the things with this in mind. I sincerely hope so.

To manufacture something of the quality of the older units (and they did with the GR series) I would expect the new drivers to be priced somewhere around the £1K to £1.5K each for retail. I would expect the new legacy Cheviots to be sold possibly around the Turnberry SE price. Otherwise, I can't see how they can provide the quality of driver, crossover and cabinet and make their distributor and dealer margins otherwise and still offer a high quality true legacy product.

I do think that going the vintage route and buying a pair for restoration and upgrading will still work out cheaper, a LOT cheaper if retaining the existing Cheviot cabs and having those worked on rather than commissioning new cabs. Tannoy won't be offering anything like the quality of some custom cabs doing the rounds but I'd expect the new ones hopefully to better the older Chevs and this time round, be properly tuned! (the old ones weren't...the port was way too long for the cab volume for a decent response). How the new models compare, we have yet to learn, but I wish Tannoy every success and hope that they do a good job and that their models are well received.

I'm Neil.

My guess for the Ardens is around £4.5k... My exact guess is £4,995...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    My guess for the Ardens is around £4.5k... My exact guess is £4,995...
    Higher!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Will be very interesting to see if they position these above the Prestige series in price or not...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm gordan.

Why no Berkeleys? To my ears they performed cleaner than Ardens.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Martin.

I think Tannoy need to exploit their brand with the BRIC markets where a famous legacy made in the UK product is a prestige item; become like Aston Martin or Ferrari where demand outstrips supply and is kept that way. With that in mind I'd hope they are quality items (even if they are, and have to be, highly priced) and not a cynical cash in on the reputation.We will find out in due course.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I get that... Actually, if some of the proposed prices I've heard are correct (£10k for the Arden), less for the rest, then I consider that reasonable. I suspect that they'll deliver a goodly dose of the performance of Prestige models, for a fraction of the price....

We just need someone with discerning ears to have a listen!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    if some of the proposed prices I've heard are correct (£10k for the Arden), less for the rest, then I consider that reasonable.

Marco.
    That would make the classic vintage HPD and Monitor Gold models look an even bigger bargain at their current asking prices.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That would make the classic vintage HPD and Monitor Gold models look an even bigger bargain at their current asking prices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast