+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting news - Tannoy to start (re)making Arden, Cheviot and Eaton

montesquieu Guest

Default Interesting news - Tannoy to start (re)making Arden, Cheviot and Eaton

http://www.whathifi.com/news/tannoy-...r-series-1970s

There was also a bit of buzz a few days back on the Tannoy Yahoo forum about maybe HPD-type (presumably not actual HPDs) also being available for hobbyists but no-one seemed able to stand up a credible source for that.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Very interesting, and great news, but much will depend on the price. I may have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of that... Chances are, Tannoy will be charging some ridiculous 'high-end type' price for them, but we shall see!

I suspect the best 'SPPV' route will still be obtaining a pair of vintage drivers/crossovers on ebay, and getting the likes of Paul (RFC) to build them into suitable cabinets and modify the crossovers...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quite fancy some Ardens. I bet the pricing is crazy though.

I love the 1970s publicity shot where the Tannoys seem to have gone to a wedding at a country house and are unaccountably milling around outside amongst the leaves on the lawn.

WTF is that all about?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Quite fancy some Ardens. I bet the pricing is crazy though.

I love the 1970s publicity shot where the Tannoys seem to have gone to a wedding at a country house and are unaccountably milling around outside amongst the leaves on the lawn.

WTF is that all about?
    As opposed to a lot of the Hifi ads back then that had nearly-if not naked little tarts casually glancing over blingy gear?
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

The new speakers shown appear to employ 'tulip waveguide' central tweeters, so may be derived from existing dual magnet designs. Nice enough, but if typical, lacking that last bit of 'see through' transparency that the 'pepperpot' classics have.

This is probably an exercise to cash in on the lasting popularity of the HPD's. They'll sell some, but I suspect real Tannoy fans will not be tempted.

As Marco suggests, I reckon the prices may be interesting!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    As opposed to a lot of the Hifi ads back then that had nearly-if not naked little tarts casually glancing over blingy gear?
    At least that made sense in an 'On The Buses' sort of way.

I mean why would you invite a collection of Tannoys to your wedding? And even if you did what are they doing outside on the lawn? It's the 'Seventies so they could smoke inside if they wanted to. There isn't even a stereo pair. Epic fail.
    Current Lash Up:

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Very interesting, and great news, but much will depend on the price. I may have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of that... Chances are, Tannoy will be charging some ridiculous 'high-end type' price for them, but we shall see!

I suspect the best 'SPPV' route will still be obtaining a pair of vintage drivers/crossovers on ebay, and getting the likes of Paul (RFC) to build them into suitable cabinets and modify the crossovers...

Marco.
    Will likely still be the case but the vintage route is not necessarily a cheap option.

Nope, not cheap but likely cheaper than what Tannoy are intending to charge for this new range!

One of the biggest bargains in hi-fi I own, in terms of out-and-out sonic performance, are my Lockwood Majors... The cabs are in near-mint condition, and with 15" MGs and upgraded crossovers inside, they cost me less than £4k.

I've not heard a pair of speakers yet, let alone any modern Tannoys, that I'd swap them for - and some of the speakers in question I've compared them with have cost north of £35k!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

JBL 4365 - although they wouldn't work in your room and they are north of 10K
    Current Lash Up:

Yeah, lovely... Are they as cheap as that brand new? If so, I'd say that was a bargain. But as you say, they wouldn't work right in my room.

The point I was making though, which I'm sure you'll agree with is that for the £4k I've spent on them, the Lockies are ridiculously good!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast