+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internal damping of stock arm, experiences?

I'm Ian.

Damper fitted to-night.
    Improved bass and mid range response, a little tighter.
    Im now very happy with my arm I dont intend to do much more other than a rewire using silver stranded wire.
    I need to move my deck through to my main system and run it on my ATC's to fully evaluate the bass and finalise the input settings on my phono pre

I will start to my other deck with a second CF coaxial arm and slightly modified headshell, I can take 2mm off the front which will reduce the weight and overhang. I will wire it with thinner silver wire (0.3mm) , fit an underslung counterweigh and improved stylus.
    Away for the next week so get started on my return
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Nathan.

First off, the stock tonearm tube on the Techie is very resonant. Having it well damped can only improve it. However, it can be taken to the next level

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
    Photo of my prototype arm and headshell.
    Ill get the handle and silicon damper fitted and do an evaluation with /without damping.
    I need to make a new paddle and arm mount as the new arm is 0.5 mm larger than the std techie, 10mm in lieu of 9.5mm[IMG][/IMG]
    On the CF/aluminum tube arm I did, the aluminum tubing was a very snug fit into the CF tube. This was from an idea presented on this forum by Qwin (many, many thanks). I took the easy way out and bought a headshell from the 'bay but because the headshell end was so much lighter I had to add a headshell weight. I also installed upgraded tonearm wire at the same time. Not being able to do an A-B comparison, all I had to go on was "wow, this thing really sounds good now!". It really is a major step up over the stock tonearm tho'.

P.S. LOVE the new bearing

We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Ian.

Nice to know one can buy a headshell, It makes this mod do-able for many.
    What was the headshell type you found ?

I did follow up Qwins suggestion of a Linn Headshell but could never find one so to move on I designed my own.
    When I get back next week one of the things Ill do is give precise dimensions for the bits I make with photos and sketches as I mod my second deck.
    I must agree it really is a major step up over the stock arm.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Nathan.

Nice to know one can buy a headshell, It makes this mod do-able for many.
    What was the headshell type you found ?
    I did a search on eBay for "straight tonearm headshell" and found some ones that look like this.

The stub of the headshell fits tightly into the CF tube (8mm I.D.) so no adhesive is needed. I used a leftover piece of tubing on the headshell finger lift to carefully adjust the azimuth.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    I did a search on eBay for "straight tonearm headshell" and found some ones that look like this.

The stub of the headshell fits tightly into the CF tube (8mm I.D.) so no adhesive is needed. I used a leftover piece of tubing on the headshell finger lift to carefully adjust the azimuth.
    Perhaps a tiny screw to prevent it from twisting? To preserve your azimuth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dimitris.

Nice Ian
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Perhaps a tiny screw to prevent it from twisting? To preserve your azimuth?

Trust me, it's in there tight enough that it's not going to twist. The azimuth isn't going to change unless you forcibly change it. I didn't glue it in place in case I had to adjust it at a later date. About a year and a half later after the initial set-up, it's still in exactly the same place.

I'm Russell.

A snug fit. Looks great! Inspires me to try some of my own ideas.

I'm Mike.

Photo of my prototype arm and headshell.
    Ill get the handle and silicon damper fitted and do an evaluation with /without damping.
    I need to make a new paddle and arm mount as the new arm is 0.5 mm larger than the std techie, 10mm in lieu of 9.5mm[IMG][/IMG]
    Beautiful work !!!

Any chance you can make a headshell for a stock 1200 arm?
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm Valera.

Here is my damper (inspired by well known design): steel base and 'towers', brass bath; grinder, drilling press and soldering. Silicone 60000 cct inside. Gives significant soud improvements in all registerts - sound is more tight and clear.

damper_3.jpg
    Analog: Technics SL-1200MkII (RB300 tonearm, external PSU, separated power supply for all stages, improved bearing), MC Goldring Eroica LX, custom SUT 1:10, Balanced input J-FET DIY phonostage
    Digital: Cubietruck (headless Debian server, i2s output, external masterclock from DAC), content on HDD. DAC: Lynx D29v4 (Altera FPGA digital stream separator, 2*AD1853, 2*3 OP42 LPF)
    PA: DIY composite amplifier YES-3, schematic by Gennady Bragin
    Acoustic: DIY floorstanding 3-way SB Acoustics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast