+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 6J1 Pre-amp modifications (hum removal)

I'm Rob.

I got mine today. Have put a couple of hours on it and it sounds pretty decent.......far more decent than the paltry price tag (and fear of counterfeit parts) would suggest. I need to do the "hum" mod (although mine is making a sort of low level fizz) than hum.

Question for Alan : Am I right to assume that this board uses a voltage doubler?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Alan.

Yes Rob, it uses two voltage doublers to generate plus and minus 30V, so any hum component on the output is going to be at 50Hz, not the 100Hz from a full wave rectifier.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Yes Rob, it uses two voltage doublers to generate plus and minus 30V, so any hum component on the output is going to be at 50Hz, not the 100Hz from a full wave rectifier.

Aha! I like my Saturday nights to have some FIZZZZZZ. Thanks Alan. Will do the "Hummmm/Fizzzzzz" mod soon.

I'm Rob.

I did the "hum" mod, but the fizz has been replaced with a..........hummmm hm? 50/60hz probably. I have disconnected one side of the 470uf cap (as I hot glued the cap to the board and might need to re-connect it - ?) Oddly the fizz has all but gone and there is only a very feint hum left. The cap has been left connected by it's NEG leg to the join of the 47r resistors only.

I'm Alan.

Sounds a bit odd. You should have plus and minus about 30V from the voltage doublers if everything is working properly.

Is it pretty close to 12V AC you are putting in? If it is 13V or more then the caps could be overrated.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Sounds a bit odd. You should have plus and minus about 30V from the voltage doublers if everything is working properly.

Is it pretty close to 12V AC you are putting in? If it is 13V or more then the caps could be overrated.
    I measured the PS (a musical fidelity wall wart for an X-10D) and it was just over 13vac which I thought would be ok?

Would it be worth changing the cap? It had been used before, but I am not aware that it was duff.
    Last edited by Puffin; 21-03-2017 at 08:12.

I'm Richard.

Sorry to ask a daft question, but what is the difference, in this case, between the preamp version and the buffer version?
    Thanks,

I'm Rob.

The Preamp has gain, the buffer has no gain.

I'm Richard.

Hi, thanks; so what's the point of a buffer?
    R

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Hi, thanks; so what's the point of a buffer?
    R
    Impedence mismatching
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast