+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6J1 Pre-amp modifications (hum removal)

I'm Alan.

Default 6J1 Pre-amp modifications (hum removal)

As bought from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2917862715...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As standard there is a low level hum present, this is cured by fitting an extra capacitor. You need a 470uF 35V electrolytic, the NEGATIVE lead is connected to the junction of two 47 ohm resistors on the top of the board as shown below:

The POSITIVE lead is wrapped around the side of the board and connected to the 0V or 'earth' connection of the input sockets:

Modification to covert to a buffer stage.

The circuit of the board is this:

...although the 100K output resistors are actually connected to 0V not -28V as shown.

To alter the function from a gain pre-amp to a zero gain buffer stage the circuit is altered so:

Three new components need to be added to give the correct valve biasing. 2x 150K resistors and a 1uF decoupling capacitor.

The two 4.7K anode load resistors are removed from the centre of the board and replaced with wire links:

Replace the two 220 ohm cathode resistors with the two 4.7K resistors just removed.

The two 1uF output capacitors have the front leads lifted from the board (closest to the volume control), then extended and connected to pin 2 of each valve, shown below:

The extra biasing components are fitted to the front of the board once the two 470K grid resistors also have their front leads lifted from the pcb.
    The connecting points can be seen in this photo:

Job done
    Last edited by Firebottle; 21-02-2017 at 12:16.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Gary.

Cool, waaay over my head

I appreciate you guys that do this "electronic stuff" , you may have well written this in Egyptian glyphs.

See you Friday...lol

Gary

I'm Nathan.

Mine are somewhere in Hong Kong right now. Thanks for the guide!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Lmao, I have tried a couple of times to follow that but I still don't know what's going on haha.

I shall endeavour to understand.

Looking forward to hearing it !!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How does it sound Alan?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nathan.

He did a much better job of explaining it than I could. My diagrams look like a foreign language to everyone but me, and I don't use the right language when I'm explaining it. I learned how to do most of it by trial and error before I could even understand the math behind it.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    He did a much better job of explaining it than I could. My diagrams look like a foreign language to everyone but me, and I don't use the right language when I'm explaining it. I learned how to do most of it by trial and error before I could even understand the math behind it.

Lol, I'm starting to understand it a bit more now.

What's that silver block next to the volume control ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Looks like a ceramic capacitor
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

It's a polycarbonate cap, it's the 1uF decoupling capacitor for the 2x 150K bias voltage divider. The lower lead is connected to the nearest 0V ground point.

Ali it sounds very neutral, I shall be trying it on the end of a lesser quality CDP later to see if it takes any of the digital glare away.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Is there any advantage in removing the 'blingy' blue LEDs?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast