+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rega Turntable Advice

I'm Mike.

Default Rega Turntable Advice

I'm looking to buy a new turntable and fancy a Rega, i'm not bothered if it's old, but some help regarding what to go for and what problems to look out for, i realise they're a no nonsense deck so i would imagine they are quite straight forward, but i might be completely wrong, also should i go for one with or without an arm and what arms work well on them. Finally what should i be looking to pay?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Marc.

I've got an original Planar 2 (the one with the wooden edging on it) currently rocking its original R200 arm with a Denon 110 and you know what? It sounds really good. I gave it some TLC when I got it, cleaned and lubed the bearing, checked the tonearm was bolted on ok, put a new drive belt on it and re-glued the drive wheel to the motor spindle - jobs a good'un, works really well for me.

One thing I was late to the party on with it was changing the band that holds the motor, when I was playing about last week (comparing vinyl version to file version of something) I noted that the vinyl version was a little slower than the digital version, so I bought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2916720864...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and it's made a great improvement - I've not tested if it's altered the speed yet but I will confess to huge surprise at the sonic improvement it yielded.

As for price and models etc I'm sure there are folk better able to weigh in here but for a 'budget' deck the KISS aspect of it, for me, makes it a real little gem.

Bigman80 Guest

Pick up an Inspire Quest. You'll enjoy it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mel.

I have an RP3 which I planned to replace with a Technics SL1210. After finding a lovely Mk5 I decided to do a side by side comparison using a Goldring 1042 cart (as I happen to have 2). The result surprised me and I found I liked the Rega much better. It has a much more open and expansive sound and just seemed more musical. The Technics is impressive in the bass but just seems to sound more mono than stereo to my ears.

So the Rega is staying but Ive now started to modify an older Mk2 Techie that's had a hard life to see if it will make me re-think my views.

You can pimp up the Rega decks but quite honestly I feel they are as good in basic form and the Rega arm is fine. The Mk 2 Techie now sports one ! I'd go for a Rega 3 model as they are not expensive and readily available second hand plus they constantly get great reviews.

I also have a cheap Rega phono which can do A/D output to USB and that never ceases to amaze me with its Quality sound. I am getting to like Rega kit - its simple good value for money kit that delivers quality sound.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread