+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boards Of Canada

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Hi David

Yes, been a fan since Hi Scores. I hadn't listened to them much in the eight years between The Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow's Harvest but was reminded how good they can be when Tomorrow's Harvest came out. I think its fair to say they have been a huge influence on a lot of musicians not just electronic ones. In the history of electronic i would say they are up there with some of the greats. With regard to the production I think its just supposed to sound that way. The graininess and opaqueness just adds to the mystery!

All the best

Loz
    At the time, I was never that keen on Campfire Headphase, and rarely listened to it. But seeing as they rarely release albums, I've been trying to get my BoC fix elsewhere, and usually failing. So I went back to CH and really got into it! Whilst for me it still isn't as good as the other three albums, it's not the lagger I thought it was...

I wouldn't want BoC to sound perfect, it's part of the whole thing. But it is surprising just how good it sounds on a good system. I like a lot of speakers for different reasons, but I do love hearing BoC on KEF Blades , some tracks release their underlying menace, particularly Semena Mertvykh from Tomorrow's Harvest. Geogaddi sounds awesome on them too. Would love to host a BoC appreciation day!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by the little audio company View Post
    I'm not sure you want to ask that question, the list is huge!!

One thing I like about BoC is that they're British - it's nice for something so awesome to be something home grown, rather than the usual American or whatever.
    Indeed... I presume you're into the classics, such as Tangerine Dream? A bit more 'funked up' and less chillout, but check out Machinedrum: http://machinedrum.net/

Some of their more melodic stuff:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

Music Has The Right To Children is totally captivating. It's an amazing psychedelic experience really. Desert Island Disc for me.
    Simon.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    Music Has The Right To Children is totally captivating. It's an amazing psychedelic experience really. Desert Island Disc for me.
    Listening to it now! Well, I had to after all this talk

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed... I presume you're into the classics, such as Tangerine Dream? A bit more 'funked up' and less chillout, but check out Machinedrum: http://machinedrum.net/

Some of their more melodic stuff:

Marco.
    I can't say I've ever really tried their stuff, but I have enjoyed a few of their film scores over the years (Sorcerer, Thief etc). I'll have to explore them further sometime.

I've seen Machinedrum's name around, but presumed they were some heavy outfit!

I'm David.

BoC's albums never fail to amaze me. I've heard them God knows how many times, and although most of it is background listening, even when you're playing at decent volumes, I never fail to hear something I've never heard before. Listened to MHTRTC and Geogaddi yesterday afternoon, and Campfire Headphase when I got home. I forget what track it was now but I heard something I'd never noticed before. I don't think it is necessarily a case of being played on a better system, it's just that there's so much going on in some tracks that what's going on in the foreground sometimes takes your concentration away from "the little things".

Now to settle down for Tomorrow's Harvest...
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

I'm Neil.

I've been a fan for a while, especially up to 'Geogaddi'. After that, the newer stuff hasn't grabbed me as much.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Carlos.

Boards of Canada, Bonobo and Fila Brazilia = happy days
    Last edited by Conan; 21-02-2017 at 13:21.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by the little audio company View Post
    BoC's albums never fail to amaze me. I've heard them God knows how many times, and although most of it is background listening, even when you're playing at decent volumes, I never fail to hear something I've never heard before. Listened to MHTRTC and Geogaddi yesterday afternoon, and Campfire Headphase when I got home. I forget what track it was now but I heard something I'd never noticed before. I don't think it is necessarily a case of being played on a better system, it's just that there's so much going on in some tracks that what's going on in the foreground sometimes takes your concentration away from "the little things".

Now to settle down for Tomorrow's Harvest...
    I'm listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on the back of this thread. Reach For The Dead sounds monumental. David, i can recommend Stars of the Lid. Might be up your street. Their sound really does reveal lots going on with attentive and repeated listening. They've been one of favourites for a number of years now. 'The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid' is as good a place as any to dip your toe in.

Cheers

Loz

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    I'm listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on the back of this thread. Reach For The Dead sounds monumental. David, i can recommend Stars of the Lid. Might be up your street. Their sound really does reveal lots going on with attentive and repeated listening. They've been one of favourites for a number of years now. 'The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid' is as good a place as any to dip your toe in.

Cheers

Loz
    Hi Loz

They've been recommended to me before actually, but I can't remember whether I got round to listening to them. I don't think I did, so thanks for the reminder
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast