+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boards Of Canada

I'm David.

Default Boards Of Canada

Any Boards Of Canada fans here?

For those who aren't familiar, they're a Scottish electronic duo who are pretty much hermits - they hardly ever tour, don't promote themselves, don't do social media, rarely do interviews, and yet are slowly building up a cult following.

Much of their music is reminiscent of the 70s, and in particular those long sunny summer holidays off school when you were a kid. You only have to look at the album cover for Music Has The Right To Children (MHTRTC) and you'll see what I mean. Some of it is quite "dreamy", and no doubt probably mind blowing if you're into certain substances! (I'm not, so I'm just guessing).

They use vintage keyboards from around that period (like a Yamaha CS70) to produce a vintage/retro sort of analogue sound. Their record label is called Music70, and one album contains the track Sixty Ten (70). Yes, they have something about the number 70. A lot of their music revolves around colours/numbers/geometry/shapes, and using soundbites from, amongst others, Sesame Street!

Initially their music sounds quite repetitive, but the more you listen to it, you start hearing new details and layers you never heard before, and despite the production not being pristine, the better the system, the more and more it reveals. Some of the theories are interesting, and some are just downright crazy! Many seem to think their second album, Geogaddi, has deeply satanic themes running through it. The following link is to a page about the supposed themes of the album, and if you click on the individual tracks, it goes into more depth about each. The more you learn, the more you become intrigued. The last time I read those pages, I was researching for a week! Even though Geogaddi followed MHTRTC, they're quite different albums, partly due to 9/11 happening during the making of Geogaddi. It became a darker album, but was still similar in many ways, with most of the tracks seamlessly linked by vignettes. One of the tracks was used in the recent horror film Sinister.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Geogaddi

There's a website that delves deep into their music, listing the samples and soundbites they use, and also the meaning of them within each track. Their first full album, Music Has The Right To Children, is the perfect example of these multitudes of layered detail. A track called Aquarius from this album was found be part of a very small collection of John Peel's favourite tracks.

You can read more on their Wikipedia and associated pages: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_of_Canada

If you're not familiar with them and you're into electronic music, give them a try. They're not your typical electronic music though, which is one reason why they've become one of my favourite artists since their first full length album in 1998. They've influenced many artists, such as Radiohead, and were themselves influenced by artists such as The Beatles. If you don't get it, you'll hate it. But if you do, you won't be able to live without it.

I'm Alan.

Default Far out man ...

Thanks for the heads up, I shall be investigating.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

lordmortlock Guest

One of my very favourite artists. Music has the right to children is one of the most important electronic albums of all time, and a personal top ten. Might have to take you to task over 'slowly building up a cult following' though. They've been huge since Roygbiv in '96! Half my life ago now, wow

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I shall be investigating.

Just bear in mind that one listen, whilst it might captivate some, just isn't enough. They can take time to get into. I prefer lights off, darkness, and get lost in their three dimensional world...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    One of my very favourite artists. Music has the right to children is one of the most important electronic albums of all time, and a personal top ten. Might have to take you to task over 'slowly building up a cult following' though. They've been huge since Roygbiv in '96! Half my life ago now, wow
    MHTRTC is definitely in my top 5 albums, although Geodaggi isn't far behind it! Take your point on being massive, but not massive as in the sort of artist who gets constant airtime on Radio 1. Almost like the film Clerks - their following has been built up by word of mouth and through friends, not through radio/TV/billboard ads etc. I'd love to see them live, but at the same time I'd be scared of the possibility of being disappointed.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by the little audio company View Post
    Just bear in mind that one listen, whilst it might captivate some, just isn't enough. They can take time to get into. I prefer lights off, darkness, and get lost in their three dimensional world...
    Sorry,

after 15 minutes on Spotify I've decided I prefer the lights on and sound off!

I'm David.

Although, as I say, it's not one of those that are instantly likeable - it takes a few listens.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, David. B.o.C are cool! What other ambient music are you into?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Loz.

Hi David

Yes, been a fan since Hi Scores. I hadn't listened to them much in the eight years between The Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow's Harvest but was reminded how good they can be when Tomorrow's Harvest came out. I think its fair to say they have been a huge influence on a lot of musicians not just electronic ones. In the history of electronic i would say they are up there with some of the greats. With regard to the production I think its just supposed to sound that way. The graininess and opaqueness just adds to the mystery!

All the best

Loz
    Last edited by HackneyRF; 20-02-2017 at 10:39.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, David. B.o.C are cool! What other ambient music are you into?

Marco.
    I'm not sure you want to ask that question, the list is huge!!

One thing I like about BoC is that they're British - it's nice for something so awesome to be something home grown, rather than the usual American or whatever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast