+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linn Mimik to Cambridge CXC?

I'm Richard.

Default Linn Mimik to Cambridge CXC?

I have upgrade-itis.

Having just upgraded my cartridge to an AT 33PTG and just got a good Quad 99 power amp (although I am split between it and the DADA/RedHill modified Quad 306) - and been pleased with both acquisitions, I've started reading some very good reports of the Cambridge CXC CD transport (no DAC on-board) and wondered if it would be better than my Linn Mimik (which I play through my Beresford DAC, i.e. by-passing the Linn internal DAC)...

I know that in some quarters "the CD is dead", - let's all go over to streaming - (which I do anyway via a Pi + Sabre and Logitech Touch), but in these days of 'alternative facts' and 'fake news' (and 'not listening to experts'), I'm not sure I believe it. Falling sales does not mean a medium is dead in the water.

So, noble experts, is it worth my while selling the (perfectly good) Mimik - albeit a bit long-in-the-tooth these days, and getting a CXC to use with the Beresford?

(I do listen to experts BTW).

Thanks,

Bonky
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm Matthew.

Default I'm no expert...but

... if I were in your shoes I would be actively considering ringing my local Richer Sounds to see if it were possible to audition my ageing CD player against a CXC into a Beresford. Don't know if they allow home dems.

Regardless of one's opinion on CD's longeivity (personally even if I had money to burn I wouldn't buy a disc spinner); the CXC is a one trick pony. Surely, for £349 you should at least be considering a spinner with a DAC and extra digital inputs?
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

I'm Grant.

Might give another flavour, but unless you dont like the sound youve got why bother... again i think the dac and cabling will have more effect than the transport unless you go up to very expensive markets. I mucked about with different dacs for years and ended up just using an, albeit upgraded buffer which gave me what i wanted. But every dac i used was different. As are cables. I got Brian to recable by cd system.. cd is not dead
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Might give another flavour, but unless you dont like the sound youve got why bother... again i think the dac and cabling will have more effect than the transport unless you go up to very expensive markets. I mucked about with different dacs for years and ended up just using an, albeit upgraded buffer which gave me what i wanted. But every dac i used was different. As are cables. I got Brian to recable by cd system.. cd is not dead
    I agree with you that CD is not dead. Since developing the Caiman SEG I have started to listen to CD a lot more. I only use a cheap CD player as a transport, but the inclusion of the SEG to do the D to A conversion process has resurrected my enjoyment of CD over using audio files from my hard disk. The difference in sound presentation are clear cut in favour of the CD in my system.

I'm Martin.

I'm inclined to agree with Granty on this one. Different transport does equal different sound but different is not always better except in purely subjective terms.

Richer will let you take it back if you try at home and don't like, they have done for me in the past, but agree it with them on purchase. They gave me 14 days which is what they would legally have to give me if I'd ordered on-line and had it delivered anyway. So I'd say give it a go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Thanks everyone. A Linn Mimik (minus remote) has just sold on eBay for £256, so given the CXC is £350 (£250 a month ago!) there's not a lot in it. I'm looking on Ebay at present and there are two up for grabs. The Mimik is good but spare parts are now unobtainable. I hear TEAC units make good CD transports but a warranty and the availability of spare parts is a bonus.

I think a loan of a CXC could be in order...

r

I'm Grant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DV...wAAOSwnHZYfT3v

These are great transports. Ive seen them cheaper but this is in nice nick and prices are on the up. Ive got 2. A number of folk here use or have used them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DV...wAAOSwnHZYfT3v

These are great transports. Ive seen them cheaper but this is in nice nick and prices are on the up. Ive got 2. A number of folk here use or have used them
    Thanks; it's on my 'watch list'.
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

+ Reply to Thread